The history of Thayer valves

Bone2Bwild

The history of Thayer valves

Post by Bone2Bwild »

I hope this is the right category for this topic!

I've been doing some research into the history of the Thayer valve. I knew the rough story, but have found out a little more having read one or two of Doug Yeo's articles; and the Thayer tribute site.

What really interests me is the time period where the first patent expired, and as I understand it, the valve (or similar variations of it) was being produced by three different companies.

Does anyone have any details on how the Getzen company started using the valve? I'd be very interested to see pictures of early Getzen/Edwards bass trombones (prototypes?) using the Thayer valve.

Thanks peeps!
hornbuilder

Re: The history of Thayer valves

Post by hornbuilder »

When "Edwards" was created by the Getzen company, Ed Thayer was a partner, of sorts. Ed Getzen had the manufacturing facility, and Ed Thayer had the valve design. I remember I exchanged letters with them which had photos or both Ed Getzen and Ed Thayer on the top of the letter head. As far as I'm aware, their rotors have always been nickel plated brass, with brass casings, and were not manufactured by Ed Thayer's company.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”