Mating bells and slides of different brands

novalvz

Mating bells and slides of different brands

Post by novalvz »

I am curious about the feasibility/compatibility of mating the bell section of one brand to the slide section of a different brand, using the tenon and screw connector of either.

I am referring to small bore pro tenors (.491 to .508) like 2B, 3B, 6H, 891, etc.

Have any of you done this type of mod? Are there inherent problems with such a hybrid?

Are there obvious tuning issues?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Matt K
Verified

Re: Mating bells and slides of different brands

Post by Matt K »

Obviously you have to have an equal or shorter length handslide. Otherwise it's too flat and you can't do anything about it!

It's a lot easier to swap the tenon out but sometimes you'll have to replace the whole cork barrel. It's easier to buy a cork barrel of a larger bore (eg a 508 cork barrel for a 500 inner) than it is the other way around. Sometimes it just isn't possible because of the I'd of the cork barrel. Some tenon's are soldered to the inner slide. More work, more $$.

If the bore is way different it can cause problems too. I had a 508/525 shires slide that had a small receiver on it. Played great on my Bach 9 bell. But it also played like 5 cents flat all the way in! Length was not too far off but just way too big for the smaller bell I suppose.

Between these things, it often isn't worth it because there are too many differences but some times its fine. Eg a 2b slide on a 3b bell after a tenon swap. Or a Yamaha slide on another Yamaha bell. Most of the small bore stuff I've tried is compatible and largely a good fit for other yanaha bells for example.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I can tell you a couple of combinations that DON'T work.

King trombones have the bell nut on the slide while Conn (and many others) have the bell nut on the bell section. Can't mix them.

I'm currently trying to find a slide to fit a Martin Indiana bell. It has the bell nut on the bell. A Cecilio slide doesn't fit (and bell nut is on the slide so they don't work together anyway).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

I did this with my holton 181 a long time ago. I hated it with the original slide, and my shires slide was a perfect fit, just needed a different lock nut. Made all the differebce in the world, became my favorite setup.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Yam and Bach?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bach5G wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 pmYam and Bach?
That will work for some of the basses. I don't think I've encountered a pairing that works on any of the tenors though I've not tried may of those combinations.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

As long as the bore is more or less comparable, you can put together a slide and bell that don't have similar connections by having a tech change either the connection on the bell or slide (or both). Doug Edelman(R) from the Met used to play a Bach slide on a Conn bell, but he had a couple of slides and bells all set up to have the proper connecting parts on them so he could swap parts for his uses.

Costs some money, and if you can't put them together well enough to try them before the "surgery", it could be a waste of time. This is the very thing that started the modular designs for Edwards/Shires, etc. Still, it could be worth it if you find something like a vintage bell that doesn't have a useable slide.

Hey, it's only money, and we're trombone players - it's not like any of us have money!

Jim Scott
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A selection of taper adapters would match most anything to most anything else. Then use it old school without a locking nut. You get a bump at the joint, but then Bach used that intentionally.
Savio

Post by Savio »

I wonder if my old bach 50bl bell can fit on my Holton 180 slide?

Leif
novalvz

Post by novalvz »

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of taper adapters. Actually playing a combination will determine if there are intonation issues.

Are these adapters commercially available?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I play a nach bell sectipn with an edwards slide on bass and a bach bell with shires slide on tenor. Great combinations. I guess i dont like bach slides...

The Shires slidw had to be adapted somewhat
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Savio wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 pm I wonder if my old bach 50bl bell can fit on my Holton 180 slide?

Leif
Leif, it'll friction fit but the Holton threads are different and the slide won't screw onto the Bach bell section.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

novalvz wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:20 am Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of taper adapters. Actually playing a combination will determine if there are intonation issues.

Are these adapters commercially available?
At least one maker (Mike Corrigan) makes a slide with an unscrew-able bell tenon.

I don't know of any others. Seems like an adapter would necessarily make the instrument longer and might result in pitch issues.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

TromboneMonkey wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 pm ...
I don't know of any others. Seems like an adapter would necessarily make the instrument longer and might result in pitch issues.
Such an adapter can be merely a trimmed sheet of brass wrapped around the tenon, diagonally to overlap, or plumber's tape as someone mentioned. The extra length is tiny. I once used a piece of aluminum can, but electrolysis got going pretty quickly.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

baileyman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm
TromboneMonkey wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 pm ...
Such an adapter can be merely a trimmed sheet of brass wrapped around the tenon, diagonally to overlap, or plumber's tape as someone mentioned. The extra length is tiny. I once used a piece of aluminum can, but electrolysis got going pretty quickly.
True; I was thinking of going the other way-- like a larger male tenon to a smaller female tenon.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I just found an odd combination that seems to work both ways (not that either really needs improvement - they are both great horns as they are) . Shires Michael Davis plus and Conn 79h. The MD+ slide fits perfectly onto the 79h bell and the threads even engage. My 79h has a 1950s 78h red brass bell with a slightly smaller bell {7 3/4"). Its a very nice combination. The Shires is surprisingly bright and clear on its own. The nickel slide lends some brightness to the 79h.

Meanwhile, the 79h slide is actually a little loose in the MD+ bell. It threads, but takes a long time to tighten. The 79h slide is much wider than the MD+ slide, and stabilizes and maybe darkened the sound a little.

I didn't get too involved with checking intonation, but it was not way out of whack. The intonation on the MD+ really lines up for all partials better than any other horn I own. The 79h is an average 60 year old Conn. So I'm sure this swap doesn't improve the intonation of the Shires, but it might for the Conn, although I doubt that too.

Several years ago I was trying to find a Shires that could replace my 79h. Trying to simply copy specs didn't work at all. A 525 bore 8" bell Shires plays like an 88h, not a 36b. If you put a valve, a slightly bigger leadpipe and a gold brass bell on the MD+, it would be a fair 79h (at 3x the price).
fantrombone

Post by fantrombone »

what about conn and olds?
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

fantrombone wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm what about conn and olds?
As far as I know (I've tried a few combos) they won't fit.
The Olds bells are interchangeable between other Olds small bore horns.
With the Conn bells you can actually use a Getzen or Edwards slide, although it won't sound like any horn in particular.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

I did this for a long time with a Holton Stratodyne bell section and a Bach slide. I had to replace the slide tenon to with a Holton piece to have it fit into the bell section, but it was a cheap mod and worked perfectly, hardware wise. The only issue was the pitch - things worked *pretty* well, but some partials had really wonky positions. If I revisit the idea I’d probably swap out the Bach flare with the Holton.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

ngrinder wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 am I did this for a long time with a Holton Stratodyne bell section and a Bach slide. I had to replace the slide tenon to with a Holton piece to have it fit into the bell section, but it was a cheap mod and worked perfectly, hardware wise. The only issue was the pitch - things worked *pretty* well, but some partials had really wonky positions. If I revisit the idea I’d probably swap out the Bach flare with the Holton.
Are we talking about the small 7"bell,485bore Stratodyne?.. What Bach slide did You mate with it?

Trond
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

It was a 7.5 inch bell mated with a Bach 12 slide.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

ngrinder wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm It was a 7.5 inch bell mated with a Bach 12 slide.
:good:
JoshE

Post by JoshE »

Does anybody know what slide might work well with a YSL-643 bell section?
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I'm just about to do this project with two Conn horns. I have a 74h (8.5" bell with 525 slide) and I want to pair it with an 88h bell. Main reason, being that I wanted the valve. The 74h plays so well, and I just picked up an 88h for kind of cheap. I'm hoping that mating the two together with be a match made in heaven. A poor man's version of just getting an 88h(o) with the sl2525 slide :-)

The screws seem to fit, but the bell is a little loose. Is there anything I need to be worried about going into this, or will it be a pretty simple, easy and maybe cheap (?) project?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
GBP

Post by GBP »

Arrowhead wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 am
fantrombone wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm what about conn and olds?
As far as I know (I've tried a few combos) they won't fit.
The Olds bells are interchangeable between other Olds small bore horns.
With the Conn bells you can actually use a Getzen or Edwards slide, although it won't sound like any horn in particular.
Edwards and Getzen use different tenons Getzen and Conn will work.
AYG1941

Post by AYG1941 »

Just in case anyone is interested:-

A few years ago I built two hybrid trombones, both with KING 2B .491"/.491" lightweight slides and Amado spit valves.

One has a KING 2B single radius crook and the other has a CONN dual radius crook.

This was done to satisfy my curiosity regarding resistance, response and sound quality as discussed in various texts and band instrument catalogues.

Both use .491" lead pipes obtained from KANSTUL along with corresponding screwed adaptors. The lead pipes are JW1, AK1 and 2B1.

Regarding the bells flares, one is from a 1927 CONN 4H and the other from a 1930 CONN 24H. In both cases, the material is "Trumpet Brass" as detailed in articles by Ben Griffin.

KING 2B slide/bell connectors and other bits and pieces were provided by a helpful brass repair technician.

Both hybrids work fine in a big band situation and I have had lots of fun with my experiments.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

combine an alto bell with a Bb slide and you have a trombone pitched in flat Db :biggrin:
sithlord666

Post by sithlord666 »

my holton tr-181 had a Bach 50B slide. Played beautifully.

Yes. I did the same.
sithlord666

Post by sithlord666 »

Anyone know if a Shires Bass trombone slide will fit a Bach 50B3O?
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

sithlord666 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:16 am Anyone know if a Shires Bass trombone slide will fit a Bach 50B3O?
I recall in the old forum somewhere that Shires can (does?) build slides with Bach tenons and threads. I don't believe stock slides will engage with the Bach nut.

Just be aware that the Shires slide will be shorter than a Bach slide and tune accordingly.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

I play a Conn Gen II 88H with a Yamaha slide (No model number, push fit lead pipes and gold brass outers.)
Also have an old Yamaha YSL 641 bell with an old Abilene 88H slide.
Both work fine. I prefer the Yamaha slide on the Gen II and I sometimes use the 641+88H slide for orchestral stuff that doesn't need a trigger.

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

sithlord666 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:16 am Anyone know if a Shires Bass trombone slide will fit a Bach 50B3O?
My Shires bass trombone slide fits my Bach 42 and vice versa.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes*

*some fit with no issues. But Shires tenons are a very slightly different size than Bach/Edwards (as well as the threads being different) and some won't work at all.

I put an Edwards tenon on my Shires dual bore slide to make it a sure thing. Previously it worked on some horns, and on some the bell section would flop over regularly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Kevbach33 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:41 am Just be aware that the Shires slide will be shorter than a Bach slide and tune accordingly.
Most Bach 50s I've played with axial valves are flat. I have to play mine with the tuning slide closed to get to 440, and I'm screwed if the pitch goes up.

A shorter slide would actually be useful to me.
Basie1955

Post by Basie1955 »

Just got my Bolero back. It’s now got 3B fittings on slide and bell.
Now everything on Selmer and 3B are interchangeable.
Will be very fun.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Has anyone here tried the 2B slide/3B bell combo?

... as heard with
JJ - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=p3_ ... &q&f=false
Urbie Green's 'Persuasive Trombone' albums - https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... +3b#p13587
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:24 pm Has anyone here tried the 2B slide/3B bell combo?
I have sort of the opposite setup. 3B slide, neck tube & tuning slide with the bell from an old King Tempo. My original plan was just to connect the bell & slide with a new tenon, but the condition of the two horns didn't permit it. The final setup is similar to a Bach 16m built from King parts. Small bell, .509 3B slide with the 3B neck pipe. 3B with a nickle plated bell, anyone? It ended up playing OK! :shuffle:
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

I have an Edwards large bore tenor bell section.

Will an Edwards bass slide fit?

I believe they use the same connection. Is this correct.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Gatt wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:20 am I have an Edwards large bore tenor bell section.

Will an Edwards bass slide fit?

I believe they use the same connection. Is this correct.
Yup.

Cheers,
Andy
jelise972

Post by jelise972 »

Hello,
Before asking I browse the forum and found this thread.
My question is about mating a King 2B bell with other models and/or other brands slides :

What slides could match a 2B bell without any modification ?

Best
Joel
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

jelise972 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 pm What slides could match a 2B bell without any modification ?
From the archives:
Klimchak wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:45 am 2B/Jiggs/old single bore Liberty/605/older tempo with 7.5” nickle bell are compatible

3B/2B+/606/Benge 170/Tempo with 8” nickel bell are compatible

3B+/607/608/609/Benge 160,175 are compatible

4B/5B/Benge 165 and 190 are compatible

Different tenons between each series, so some mods would have to be done to put a 3B slide on a 3B+ bell section
jelise972

Post by jelise972 »

Thanks a lot ! :good:
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

JoshE wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 am Does anybody know what slide might work well with a YSL-643 bell section?
For giggles one night I swapped slides between my 643 and 548GO and everything hooked up fine. The tuning slides are also compatible although one (can't remember which) doesn't close up completely on the other horn. I think it's interesting that two horns made about 40 years apart have compatible parts.
sithlord666

Post by sithlord666 »

:shuffle: Hello all. What slide would fit a Jupiter 740 Bass trombone? I have a good 72H slide that fits, and even screws down. Are there any other slide combinations that may fit. It's a terrific jupiter Bass. The original slide is trash.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

lupusargentus wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:39 pm
JoshE wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 am Does anybody know what slide might work well with a YSL-643 bell section?
For giggles one night I swapped slides between my 643 and 548GO and everything hooked up fine. The tuning slides are also compatible although one (can't remember which) doesn't close up completely on the other horn. I think it's interesting that two horns made about 40 years apart have compatible parts.
Probably the 548 because of the tuning slide brace. Makes it a little less flexible.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

i combined the bell section from my Thorsten Mittag alto trombone with the Conn 34H slide section. The result plays better as using the original slide.

Return to “Modification & Repair”