Removing gold lacquer from a 2b

Jmac

Removing gold lacquer from a 2b

Post by Jmac »

I own 2 King 2b’s. One has lots of nickel accents on it and on the other it looks like the nickel is covered with a gold colored lacquer. It actually looks like someone removed portions of the gold lacquer at some point. Does anyone have any recommendations for how I can remove the lacquer so I can see the nickel? It looks much better with the silver color to me.
pompatus

Re: Removing gold lacquer from a 2b

Post by pompatus »

I spoke with my tech about my 3B, which is in a similar state, just this afternoon. His recommendation was to use Easy-Off oven cleaner, and said it may take a couple of applications to get all of the lacquer uniformly.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

pompatus wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:35 pm I spoke with my tech about my 3B, which is in a similar state, just this afternoon. His recommendation was to use Easy-Off oven cleaner, and said it may take a couple of applications to get all of the lacquer uniformly.
Thanks. I’ll give that a try. I found some under the sink.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6488

Give this thread a look. There are a couple of different options discussed in regard to King lacquer, but more importantly is the warning that Easy-Off can be rough on the brass if left too long, and needs to be very thoroughly washed off at the end.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

pompatus wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:38 pm https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6488

Give this thread a look. There are a couple of different options discussed in regard to King lacquer, but more importantly is the warning that Easy-Off can be rough on the brass if left too long, and needs to be very thoroughly washed off at the end.
Thanks. I tried the oven cleaner. It worked well and pretty quickly. It did make the brass look a little brown at first but I used some Wrights brass polish after and it cleaned up very nicely.

Return to “Modification & Repair”