Bach 50B2 second valve extension

afugate

Bach 50B2 second valve extension

Post by afugate »

Our local high school has a Bach 50B2 dependent stack with F / Eb tuning.

Can someone point me to a reasonably priced option for extending this to F/D tuning? Apparently MSRP is about $1,000 for this... :roll:

TIA,
--Andy in OKC
pompatus

Re: Bach 50B2 second valve extension

Post by pompatus »

Any tech should be able to make an extension for far less than MSRP. We've got several members here that are renowned techs that could probably do the job pretty reasonably. Perhaps one of them has a moment free to chime in.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Making an extension is a very easy job, id guess $250 max
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just curious, Andy. Is this the original in flat E or the newer version in Eb? The length of the adapter will change.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
afugate

Post by afugate »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:37 pm Just curious, Andy. Is this the original in flat E or the newer version in Eb? The length of the adapter will change.
That is a good question. I do not know. :/ I'll check when I see the youngster again this weekend.

It is as pictured here:
https://www.wwbw.com/Bach-50B2-Stradiva ... 61771.wwbw

--Andy in OKC
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Check with a repairman named Colter there in OKC at the Larson music store on NW 63rd. He is a trombone player from UNT that has learned some from Eric Swanson. Phone 405-843-1573. My brother is a repairmen there also but doesn't do that kind of trombone work.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Jgittleson wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:57 pm Making an extension is a very easy job, id guess $250 max
Provided you are willing to use available parts, yes.

If they use readily available parts, this is not a big deal. Probably even less if you do not bother to lacquer the extension and surgery spots.

If you insist on genuine Conn-Selmer parts.... well, this could be very expensive and take a long time. I haven't even bothered to look what those parts cost from them in a long time.

I'd buy some inners and outers from any number of sources (heck, OE Thayer online is easy) and make a new slide for this, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Andy
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:29 pm
Jgittleson wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:57 pm Making an extension is a very easy job, id guess $250 max
Provided you are willing to use available parts, yes.

If they use readily available parts, this is not a big deal. Probably even less if you do not bother to lacquer the extension and surgery spots.

If you insist on genuine Conn-Selmer parts.... well, this could be very expensive and take a long time. I haven't even bothered to look what those parts cost from them in a long time.

I'd buy some inners and outers from any number of sources (heck, OE Thayer online is easy) and make a new slide for this, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Andy
You're making it too complicated. Buy 2 female tuning slide sleeves, and some .593id tubing, and 2 braces from thayer, probalby less than $100. Then it just slips in between the current tuning slide and the horn. 1hr job to make, then 1hr to solder and make it pretty.
Tromboned

Post by Tromboned »

I actually just did this on my Bach 50B2O. I worked through my local instrument shop and it took 6 months but Conn/Selmer does sell a stock tube for just under $200. It was a lot compared to what I paid for the horn but it fit perfectly.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Jgittleson wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm ...
You're making it too complicated. Buy 2 female tuning slide sleeves, and some .593id tubing, and 2 braces from thayer, probalby less than $100. Then it just slips in between the current tuning slide and the horn. 1hr job to make, then 1hr to solder and make it pretty.
Uh.. that’s pretty much what I said. Except I would just remove the existing Bach slide, because I don’t think the Thayer parts necessarily mate with the Bach tuning slides. Heck, not all Bach tuning slides mate with each other without significant fussing (I still have one of these extensions stuck on the tuning slide).

Use available parts = cheap and easy.

Use Bach parts = long time and expensive.

Cheers,
Andy
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Yes - what Elmsandr said. Have a tech make an extension from existing parts. Not a big deal. $200?

(And it doesn't matter whether it is in flat E or Eb, does it?...)
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
afugate

Post by afugate »

jthomas105 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 am Check with a repairman named Colter there in OKC at the Larson music store on NW 63rd. He is a trombone player from UNT that has learned some from Eric Swanson. Phone 405-843-1573. My brother is a repairmen there also but doesn't do that kind of trombone work.
Yep. I know Colter. He was our daughter's first private lesson teacher. :) I hadn't thought to ask him.
greenbean wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:00 pm (And it doesn't matter whether it is in flat E or Eb, does it?...)
lol. No. It doesn't really.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Modification & Repair”