Repairs/replacement of case (zipper)

Bach5G

Repairs/replacement of case (zipper)

Post by Bach5G »

The zipper in my BAM case is broken. Does anyone have experience repairing/replacing the zipper? Is it difficult? Expensive?
BGuttman

Re: Repairs/replacement of case (zipper)

Post by BGuttman »

Don't know where you are, but there is a place in Brookline MA called "Zipper Hospital" that specializes in replacement zippers. Cost should be a lot less than a replacement case.

If all you need is a replacement pull, kits with them are pretty easy to find. And cheap.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I did the same thing with two BAM Classics. I took the first one to a very good repair shop. They said it was impossible due to the way it was constructed. Same thing with the second.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:39 am Don't know where you are, but there is a place in Brookline MA called "Zipper Hospital" that specializes in replacement zippers. Cost should be a lot less than a replacement case.

If all you need is a replacement pull, kits with them are pretty easy to find. And cheap.
The split rings as used on key chains work well for zipper pulls!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I've never owned a BAM case, so I can't speak directly to the particulars with those cases, but I have had zippers replaced on Reunion Blues bags. I also learned from the store that did the work, that sometimes you can make a temporary repair to a zipper by taking a pair of pliers and squeezing the glide (the part that moves) at the far end - away from the direction it is traveling to close the zipper. That part sometimes "spreads out' a bit, and doesn't properly close the zipper. If that doesn't work, sometimes they can replace the glide, rather than the whole zipper. I dealt with a luggage repair shop, and had good experiences and relatively low costs.

Jim Scott

Return to “Modification & Repair”