Bach 42 Slide Crook Replacement

Walleye

Bach 42 Slide Crook Replacement

Post by Walleye »

I have an all yellow 42 slide and am considering swapping out the slide crook. I was wondering who else has done this, what crook you used and how the slide played and sounded afterwards.. Thanks...
Matt K
Verified

Re: Bach 42 Slide Crook Replacement

Post by Matt K »

I've not done that specific swap but I have played "Bach like" Shires setups on 42 bell sections (and similar Bach/Edwards sections). In every case, I've found that a nickel crook makes a noticeable, positive difference for me. I also tend to prefer the wider, tenor crooks over the bass crooks. (Although admittedly my setup is a Conn like setup and I have a narrow crook on it).

A little nickel tends to make articulations a little easier, which also in turn makes it easier to color the sound for me. Possibly because it's difficult to fully separate the "attack" of a note with the sound quality of it. The more flexible the timbre, the easier to get what I want out of the sound immediately.
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

Maybe try to get your hands on an Edwards T-STDN slide. That's the one that has a nickel tenor crook and will fit a Bach bell section properly. Does anyone know if this slide is wide like a Bach?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Rrova wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 am Maybe try to get your hands on an Edwards T-STDN slide. That's the one that has a nickel tenor crook and will fit a Bach bell section properly. Does anyone know if this slide is wide like a Bach?
The STDN has a wide crook, but it isn't a bass crook like the Bach slides. It also is single radius instead of dual radius. Edwards compares it to Conn slides, but I believe they are a little wider than those. The length on the Edwards are a little shorter too, though I actually prefer that length. It's not something most people notice either way but I'd been told by Ben Griffin that Shires - which have a very similar length to Edwards - offered a Bach length slide (a little longer) for those who were accustomed to it. Evidently they report having a little less flexibility but more centeredness or something similar to that.

If you want a bass crook with yellow tubes, you'd be wanting the T-BCN.
christianjgilbert

Post by christianjgilbert »

I've got a Bach 42 slide with a Greenhoe wide tenor crook in nickel silver, and it's really good. Quick articulations and a focused sound. You can get a similar tenor crook, or bass crook, from MK Drawing and Bending for less than you'd probably expect to pay (a fraction of the cost of an OEM Bach replacement crook).
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Not a yellow slide, but I have a nickel LW slide on my 42, and I had the crook changed to a M/K bronze crook a while back. It felt like a big difference at first but 1) I don't know how much of it was a)because the change of alloy or b)because my original crook was dented in a few places or c)because M/K perhaps draws and bends their tubes better than Bach workers or d)a little bit of all that plus some placebo effect; and 2) I of course eventually adapted to the change and my sound is still my sound. Changing the crook will probably make a small difference, and probably not people past the first row of woodwinds will notice.

My take on it is if the crook is damaged, sure change it and might as well try something different. If it's not damaged and the horn is good, why change? If it's not damaged and the horn is bad, well changing it probably won't save the horn.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I own a 42 yellow brass outers slide with a 42 nickel crook, it works really great with gold brass bells. A 42 yellow brass outers with a M&K 42 bronze crook, it works really great with yellow brass bells, a 42 slide with M&K rose brass outers with a 42 nickel crook, which works amazing with anything, and a 42 nickel outers with a 42 yellow brass crook and oversleeves (not lightweight), a very versatile slide (IT'S FOR SALE!) . All with removable leadpipes (press-fit).

I use each one depending on the musical context.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería

Return to “Modification & Repair”