Is this repairable?

Jgittleson

Is this repairable?

Post by Jgittleson »

A good friend of mine gave me a 50b2 with a corporation bell, in really rough shape. I took the whole thing apart, needed the tubing for a project, but the bell was really smashed, and im curious if its fixable. I worked it out a little bit, it at least has the shape of a bell now. Its not flat yet, there seems to be a small tear that im sure could be brazed, and its still a far cry from done, but im curious if this could be brought back into shape, since i know these bells are sought after.
20180722_080606.jpg
Jgittleson

Re: Is this repairable?

Post by Jgittleson »

A few more
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I don't see anything that would preclude me from using it. Of course the ultimate test is whether or not it sounds good. I just bought a YSL697(? I think... it's the one that has a similar bore to the 2b) off someone and it has a cracked bell bead. I thought it would buzz and not be too good, but I bought it because it was a good price and I could use the other parts. But I played it and compared to a new 800 series in a store a few weeks ago and I'll be darned if I didn't prefer the one with the cracked bell bead. I was thinking about soldering it or something but... I don't know. I'm probably just going to leave it as is.
BaritoneJack

Post by BaritoneJack »

Re. the creases and dents; they are definitely fixable. If you look at some of the repair jobs shown on YouTube, pro repairers are shown sorting out damage which looks like the instrument had been kicked down a long flight of stone stairs - yet they get it looking as good as new.

What would concern me far more is the corrosion. I think what matters is not the area which has corroded, but how deeply the corrosion has eaten into the metal. Once it goes beyond a certain point, it's beyond the power of any buffing wheel and compound to salvage it.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Its very superficial, i scotchbrited it off already.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Do you still have the other parts of the 50 bell? I'm looking for all of the parts below the valve knuckle (ferrule, slide receiver and bell nut).

Thanks!
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

LeoInFL wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:16 pm Do you still have the other parts of the 50 bell? I'm looking for all of the parts below the valve knuckle (ferrule, slide receiver and bell nut).

Thanks!
I pretty much used everything other than the bell on this
BaritoneJack

Post by BaritoneJack »

Jgittleson wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:07 pm Its very superficial, i scotchbrited it off already.
Then any competent repairman will have no trouble sorting out the other damage for you! :good:
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

BaritoneJack wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:27 pm
Jgittleson wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:07 pm Its very superficial, i scotchbrited it off already.
Then any competent repairman will have no trouble sorting out the other damage for you! :good:

Good to know. I have absolutely no use for it, so I'm thinking about have it fixed and giving it back to the friend who gave me the bell section as a thank you, or if he doesnt want it i guess id sell it.

Return to “Modification & Repair”