Replacing Bach Linkage

JCBone

Replacing Bach Linkage

Post by JCBone »

I have bach with a very noisy miniball linkage and I'm looking to replace it. I was looking into the instrument innovations linkage but their website said that it is not compatible with bach. Any ideas?
BGuttman

Re: Replacing Bach Linkage

Post by BGuttman »

Before you embark on a long and expensive linkage project, make sure you don't have hardened bumpers and have lubricated the old ball-and-socket properly. Those two things can contribute a lot to noise.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Chiptingle

Post by Chiptingle »

Pretty deep in the weeds, but I have to agree on different bumpers making a difference in noise. Until I experienced this on my Getzen 1062, going from clear-ish squared off, softer…to harder black, round…I never woulda thunk.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Can you post a photo of the current linkage, please?

Bach have had 2 different linkage types, the options vary depending on what your horn has.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:56 am Before you embark on a long and expensive linkage project, make sure you don't have hardened bumpers and have lubricated the old ball-and-socket properly. Those two things can contribute a lot to noise.
I have tried that but there is play in the actual linkage.
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

hornbuilder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:29 pm Can you post a photo of the current linkage, please?

Bach have had 2 different linkage types, the options vary depending on what your horn has.
https://images.app.goo.gl/7fnC3PRmEd3PSD5n9
This type
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Those Bach minibals are loud. The bumpers won't change anything.

Straight up new minibals might do it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

JCBone wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 am I have bach with a very noisy miniball linkage and I'm looking to replace it. I was looking into the instrument innovations linkage but their website said that it is not compatible with bach. Any ideas?
I use Hetman Bearing and Linkage oil on all my miniball links on all my horns. They make a "light" version but the regular weight (if you can find it) seems to make them the quietest. Check if the screws that hold the ball are loose, just in case they are part of the problem.

Also, if you can't find Hetman, any medium weight key oil will work. It was suggested that you check your bumpers to make sure they haven't become hard. Always good advice.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The ball joints Bach use are not genuine German made MINIBAL ball joints. They can be directly replaced with genuine MINIBAL parts. They will give you a long, quiet service life.

Heavier oil "may" quiet the Bach joints some, but it is not a permanent solution.

Send me an email to

matthew"at"customtrombones"dot"com

I can sell you some.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”