Outer slide tube(s) material questions

BrianJohnston

Outer slide tube(s) material questions

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

I have a complex question as usual.

Lets say you have a bach 50 slide that is all yellow brass, and you take only one of the outer slide tubes and replace it for a B50 gold or red brass.

Is this going to make the slide "un-balanced"? (In terms of intonation, overtones, playability)
Or is it just going to slightly effect the sound & feel? (Change the response, add warmth & depth)

Would it be more recommended to make both tubes even? or does that not matter so much?

Thanks
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
brassmedic

Re: Outer slide tube(s) material questions

Post by brassmedic »

I played an Inderbinen trombone with dissimilar slide tubes (nickel silver and brass), and it was fantastic. So no, I don't think the tubes necessarily need to be the same material. But changing the metal alloy on either tube will change how it plays, of course. I don't see why you would want to do that, though, unless you had a very specific reason (which I assume Inderbinen had). Personally, I would use the same tubes if I ever wanted to sell the horn. I think there's less of a market for an unusual customization like that.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I almost built one with dissimilar tubes but ended up with a new outer for that side that works great. I am a little surprised it isn’t more popular, with how popular nickel crooks with yellow tubes (or the opposite) are.

That said, I have mixed outer slides of varying weights… I have such a half lightweight slide (no over sleeve on top, nickel over sleeves on bottom). Plays great. No reason to have oversleeves on neither or both sides exclusively.

If I had infinite money, I might have a T0825GYLW (508 upper, gold tubes, regular weight - 525 lower, yellow lightweight tubes)
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

It happened once or twice by accident at Shires that a slide was built with one gold brass and one yellow tube. Pretty sure there's a TW47YG out in the world somewhere.

I honestly don't remember how they played or sounded, but I can say for sure that nobody ever thought it was something that needed to be reproduced and offered as an option.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Very interesting. Thank you all
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I’ve seen a few Raths built with two different tubes, though usually one nickel and one other.

I doubt that a singular gold brass tube would be that much different to be noticeable enough to be described as unbalanced. It could be a nice finishing tweak, but I think that would definitely get into angels on a pin head territory.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Modification & Repair”