Compatibility with olds recording trombone

maxwellf9

Compatibility with olds recording trombone

Post by maxwellf9 »

I love the warmth and clear articulation that the olds recording trombone allows for but my slide is becoming very slow compared to my other shires horn and I was wanting to upgrade it. I want to be able to keep my olds recording horn but be able to match it up with a different more fast yet compatible slide. Does anybody know of any slides that are compatible with the dual bore .495/.510???
Last edited by maxwellf9 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Elliott

Re: Compatibility with olds recording trombone

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think most Olds slides are compatible, but if your slide really is trashed, with some modification you could have all the tubes replaced and either keep the same bore or change slightly depending on what's compatible with the skills of the tech and the parts available. The Recording is dual bore, I think .495/.515, not straight .500.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:11 amThe Recording is dual bore, I think .495/.515, not straight .500.
Advertised as .495"/.510".

Any "small bore" Olds slide will mate up (as long as it's not one of really old ones with no tenon nut). Although the tenon is the same, they come in three different bore configurations; .485"/.500" (Super, Studio, Special, straight tenor Ambassador), .500" (P-15 & P16 Custom), and .495"/.510" (Recording, V-20 SuperStar, Ambassador w/f-attachment). That said, the only true replacement for a Recording slide is another Recording slide; anything other Olds slide with be a different bore, different materials, or both.

Has your friendly neighborhood tech told you that the slide is beyond hope?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If your slide is gradually "becoming slow" and is not visibly damaged, it may well be salvageable. Bring it to a really good slide technician (probably not the one at your local music store). Let us know where you live - TromboneChat members may be able to provide a recommendation.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Looks like the OP deleted the initial post of this thread...
maxwellf9

Post by maxwellf9 »

I brought it to Sweeny Brass which is a very good repairman and he did what he could with it. He removed some of the built of stuff on the stockings and re aligned the inner and outer slides as well as got some dings out of the inner slide as well as put a counter weight + a new spot valve contraption on. I live in San Diego California and got the work done around a year ago when I was visiting family in North Carolina but my slide is beginning to be super slow again even though I take very good care it everyday.I think my outer slide is scratched up on the inside from not being correctly set on the fluted slide for years before I got it fixed. I am just frusterated when soloing and going out to 5th and beyond because that’s when my slide gets slow compared to my shores.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If you're in San Diego, I'd suggest making the drive up to John Sandhagen's place in Claremont.
https://www.theboneyard-ca.org/index.html
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

JohnL wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:56 am Looks like the OP deleted the initial post of this thread...
He modified it so I had to re-approve. Should be visible now.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
maxwellf9

Post by maxwellf9 »

I’m bringing it to the boneyard today to get it checked out. He’s gonna let me know if he can do anything that could fix it.

Return to “Modification & Repair”