YSL-350C

Bringthebassin

YSL-350C

Post by Bringthebassin »

So I was perusing the internet today and I ran into a rather curious trombone: the Yamaha YSL-350C. Interesting thing about this horn is that it has a reversed valve that changes the horn from Bb to C to facilitate the reach for smaller players. This got me thinking, if there are any techs out there that have experimented with similar valve sections? Could they prove useful to more serious players than the students that this horn is intended? Could make some rather interesting instruments. Anyway, I'm interested in everyone's thoughts all the same.

Here is a link to it: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-rfj6008 ... mbypass=on
Getzen 1052FDR on Douglas Yeo Signature
Conn 52H on Dennis Wick 4BS
BGuttman

Re: YSL-350C

Post by BGuttman »

It plays much better than most "student" horns. I often thought I would like to have the attachment reversed: plays in C normally and you can use the valve for access to low F and E (not common notes in tenor parts anyway). Then make a crook for the valve to put it in G since a Bb attachment on a C trombone is of limited usefulness.

We had a discussion like this a couple of years ago.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have ambitions to someday build a trombone with an ascending valve to C. However, the ascending valve would be second valve operated by the left hand middle finger. The first valve would be a regular F- attachment used for the B-flat side. I suppose both valves could be used together and the resulting pitches would be a 1st position overtone series based on a pitch somewhere between G and F#.

The advantage of such a trombone would be the ability to play the low C and B natural (below the bass clef staff) in 1st and 2nd position while engaging the 2nd valve (technically speaking, the musician would be “disengaging” the 2nd valve). The challenge of making such an instrument is to construct it so that the horn is free blowing while the air is passing through the tubing of the 2nd valve because the tubing could possibly be engaged (the valve NOT pressed) the majority of the time.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:55 pm I often thought I would like to have the attachment reversed: plays in C normally and you can use the valve for access to low F and E (not common notes in tenor parts anyway). Then make a crook for the valve to put it in G
Better yet, make the crook for A. C/A on a tenor would be useful for the same reasons Bb/G is.
Bringthebassin

Post by Bringthebassin »

Crazy4Tbone86 Sounds like a good design at least in theory. I'd love see something like that on the market. Could be an interesting alternative for conventional dependent bass setups. Heck, I'd pick it up and play it if I saw one.
Getzen 1052FDR on Douglas Yeo Signature
Conn 52H on Dennis Wick 4BS
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think there is one for sale at Baltimore Brass now
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The 350c at Balt Brass is mine. Interesting horn, definitely kind of niche. Mines in very good condition. There was a big discussion this past summer, good and bad about this particular instrument and the concept.

Return to “Modification & Repair”