Trombone trigger popped off

Char

Trombone trigger popped off

Post by Char »

Hi this is my first post and I mainly signed up because I have an issue with my trombone at the moment. I got a new trombone about 2 weeks ago, after I got the horn I went on vacation and I just got back yesterday. This morning I tried to play the horn but when I tried to use the trigger it just popped off from the horn and now it’s just hanging from the rotating part. This is my first time having a horn with an F attachment please help.
BGuttman

Re: Trombone trigger popped off

Post by BGuttman »

You will have to be a little more specific for us to help.

Is the problem that a linkage popped off a ball joint? Did the trigger mechanism get unsoldered from a brace?

If you just got it 2 weeks ago, is it new and under warranty? Did you buy it from a music store? If that's the case, see if the person you got it from can help.

Was it issued by your school? If so, bring it to your Band Director. They should be able to get it fixed.

You aren't the first person this has happened to (whatever the problem). Be patient and you should be able to get it resolved. Do you have another instrument to play while this one is being fixed?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the issue? If it is a "new" horn, it sounds like the mounting point for the trigger was not soldered on correctly.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I had this happen on a Bach bass trombone. It's an easy fix and should be covered under the warranty if you have one.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

That happened to my 42B shortly after I got it... several decades ago. The saddle came off of the crossbrace, not soldered on well enough. It's an easy fix by a competent repair person.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Char

Post by Char »

I don’t know how to post a picture but the trigger is basically hanging and it look that it came off this thin metal piece, the trigger has like a little white lump from where it was attached . I’m sorry I can’t be more specific I don’t really know the proper words for the parts of the trombone I’ve only been playing for about 2 years and I rent instruments from the school this is my first personal horn.

Also I do not have a warranty yet, is the fix expensive?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think it's what happened to mine. The assembly with the spring on it came off of the crossbrace, right? The white blob is solder, and it wasn't put on right in the first place. That's a simple fix for a repair person to do and shouldn't cost very much.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Char

Post by Char »

Ok, thank you so much.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

That happened to my 42B too; the saddle came off the brace where it was soldered on.

It is an easy fix but you can't do it yourself. Glue won't hold, it has to be soldered. (and if you do try to glue it you will make it very hard for the technician to fix it correctly)

Return to “Modification & Repair”