King 4BF slide problem

CalebLangford

King 4BF slide problem

Post by CalebLangford »

Hello,
Recently acquired a king 4bf sonorous from around the 70's. Slide seems in good condition and plays well from positions 1-4, but 5 to 7 get progressively worse until making small changes is near impossible in 7th. Plating is fine and I can't see any no dents. Doesn't seem to be alignment as it happens with only one inner tube. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Doug Elliott

Re: King 4BF slide problem

Post by Doug Elliott »

My guess would be one tube is out of round in the top half that would be over the stocking in the outer positions. You can't really "see" that, but it can be measured. I think it's fairly difficult and/or time consuming to get tubes back to being round when they're like that - it may be better to replace one or both outer tubes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Darned unfortunate. I have same instrument from same period, the slide is still flawless, kind of spooky.
CalebLangford

Post by CalebLangford »

henrysa wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:05 pm Darned unfortunate. I have same instrument from same period, the slide is still flawless, kind of spooky.
So it won't be gravity pushing down, I thought that could've been it but I think he is right, must be ovular on both tubes.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Definitely time for a tech to take a look at it. That's way out of normal performance.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalebLangford

Post by CalebLangford »

I am getting it done end of January. Doesn't seem to be ovular but I'm 90% sure it is something to do with the front of the outer slide, would make sense as they would only contact from 5 out. It's silver plated so dents can be difficult to see. Seems to be a few
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Yes, something in the upper part of the outer slide or plating loss on the stockings. Look for a dent on the upper part of the outer slide. If no dent it could be you just need to clean/wipe the inside of the outer slide. It probably has to do with gravity. You could also try to turn the outer slide upside down and see if it moves more easy.

/Tom
CalebLangford

Post by CalebLangford »

I've given it a very, very thorough clean. Stockings have no loss, but seem to have a slightly more worn down part, might be due to a dent. Both top and bottom of the slide feel awful from 5 down so I think both may have contributing dents. Thanks
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Have your tech check for the axial alignment of the stocking to the tube. It is not unusual for the sticking to be on a different plane to the rest of the tube, due to the drawing process.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”