Adjusting Lever Position - advice please

Arvopart17

Adjusting Lever Position - advice please

Post by Arvopart17 »

I’m using a hand grip on my bass trombone that is extremely comfortable, but when I use the thumb lever it sometimes hits the guard and doesn’t activate all the way (obviously not good!)

I’d like to raise the lever position by maybe a few millimeters so that it doesn’t hit the hand rest. It would be more comfortable for me a little higher anyways.

Before I do something bad and unintentionally damage the linkage, is it as simple as removing the screw at the end of the arm that connects to the lever and twisting the connecting rod to lengthen it a little then putting it back together?

See pictures below of the problem and the two parts I’m referring to. Is this something anyone with a screwdriver can do or should I find time to take it to a tech?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Adjusting Lever Position - advice please

Post by Burgerbob »

I just angle my Get-A-Grip a little bit so the lever doesn't hit. I've had to do this on most instruments.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Yes.

Just remember to keep the lever supported as you unscrew, so that the lever spring tension doesn't bend the screw as you remove it or smack the thumb rest into the rotor cap.

Afterwards, retighten the floating knurled nut against one of the miniball fittings to lock the connecting rod in position.

If it turns out there isn't sufficient thread length for the adjustment, you either need a longer connecting rod, or the lever itself needs bending to fit.
Arvopart17

Post by Arvopart17 »

Thank you both, I’ll try adjusting the grip first and let you know how it goes.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Bending levers is not difficult, per se, but you do have it right to remove it from the horn first. Make sure to support what you are bending and pay attention to the physics and reactions. You don’t want to stress the braze or weld joints on the linkage, or you might have a bigger problem. As with all DIY projects, do not undertake it unless you are willing to pay more to replace any bits that may be damaged in the process.

Good luck,
Andy
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Yes, you can lengthen the linkage by turning the links counter-clockwise, assuming you don't run out of threads. You'll notice that your second valve linkage is already adjusted that way.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”