Valve Question

wayne88ny

Valve Question

Post by wayne88ny »

I'm planning to add a valve to my tenor trombone. I like the openness of the Axial Flow valve. For various reasons, I'm also considering a Hagmann or one of the Mendlschmidt valves. I have Hagmann valves on my Courtois Bass trombone and find then to be very open. I know the Instrument Innovations Axial flow valve costs $350. I'd like to know how the openness of the Hagmann, Mendlschmidt OpenFlow and Mendlschmidt Radial Flow valves compare to the Axial Flow Valve and the and the cost of each.
Burgerbob

Re: Valve Question

Post by Burgerbob »

They're all quite different. What are you going for? Wide sound and feel? More compact? Weight? Which instrument?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Nothing else really matches a Thayer… for good and bad. I do kinda love them, but they are a bit much.

Would love to see a bunch of the improved rotors all against each other in similar applications, unfortunately my collection is mostly fail valves (monster, CL, K).

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Presumably you're tenor is an 88 based on your username?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

It's Meinlschmidt.

Anyway, Hagmanns are considerably more expensive than anything else, because Switzerland etc. Meinlschmidt won't sell direct to consumers, so it's a question for your tech, but their prices aren't crazy. But cost isn't just the valve - unusual wrap tubing (...Hagmann) could become significant depending on what you have in mind.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:56 pm fail valves
❤️
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The CL valve is a fail?
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

As you can see from my recent post, Chuck McAlexander made a Thayer attachment for my Conn 8H. I have an 88HK bell that's set up to use that attachment. I want to get another attachment made so I don't have to switch the attachment when I want to use the K bell. As you probably know, Chuck is retired. I can probably find a tech to copy what Chuck did, but that attachment requires custom bent tubing, and depending on the tech, that could be costly. Interestingly, a Bach 42 with an axial flow valve is the same price as one with a Hagmann valve. I thought I might be able to save some money by using a different valve that wouldn't require custom tubing. I probably will end up getting an attachment with a axial flow valve, but if i could get something that played the same as the axial flow valve and it cost less, I would go that route.
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 pm The CL valve is a fail?
Yes, I don't like the CL valves.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

wayne88ny wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:24 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 pm The CL valve is a fail?
Yes, I don't like the CL valves.
I didn't much like the valve on my 88HCL until I showed it to master tech John Sandhagen. He made a <5-minute adjustment and now the valve (and entire trombone) are wonderful. I love the short throw and the near-ideal resistance. :good:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

What trombone are you playing now? I'm assuming it is a straight trombone? Cost is going to depend on location, the valve you choose, and the implementation you choose.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah the CL2000 is an amazing valve. Like anything, it is just one component of a system. I'd like to try it on something that isn't an 88H.

Was just curious why Andy called his collection all fail valves. Why collect them? Maybe they are just commercial fails. I still wouldn't group the CL valve with the K and monster valve though.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I've built horns with every valve on your list, and then some. If you were to give a more detailed explanation of what you're looking for I'd be happy to provide some insight. If I were to write about each one at length I'll be here til 2024😅
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:33 pm Yeah the CL2000 is an amazing valve. Like anything, it is just one component of a system. I'd like to try it on something that isn't an 88H.

Was just curious why Andy called his collection all fail valves. Why collect them? Maybe they are just commercial fails. I still wouldn't group the CL valve with the K and monster valve though.
I know more people playing K valves professionally than CL valves… hence the inclusion. It isn’t bad…. But neither is the K, from a response view. They do some things very well.

But it certainly hasn’t “won” in the market and won’t any time soon. Heck, axials are approaching fail trajectory as other “improved” rotors eat away the market share.

Wankel engines work, too. They’re fun. But they didn’t “win” in the market.

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I don't know if you can ever say Thayer/AF valves failed given how ubiquitous they were throughout the 90s and 2000s. I wonder the degree to which CL valves never took off due to licensing. You can obviously buy them from CS, but I don't believe, for example, Rath could sell a R4 with a Lindberg advertised as such right? Whereas with other patented valves like the Hagmann's, obviously they have no problem with that exact arrangement
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW the patent is now expired on the the CL valve design. I believe....

Any shop could copy it now if they wanted to. You'd have to call it something else though. The Lumburg valve
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The "K-valve" is only really failed because Bach decided to stop making it. I think they built it in house? But those I know that have the K-valve Bach horns really like them. Can't say the same for the "Monster valve" trombones.

For me... it's all about rotary valves and "improved" rotary valves. Still trying to decide whether I want to get a new Axial flow valve installed on my Bach 42T so I can have a proper gooseneck.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:23 pm FWIW the patent is now expired on the the CL valve design. I believe....

Any shop could copy it now if they wanted to. You'd have to call it something else though. The Lumburg valve
The Christian valve? :tongue:
The Bald Swede valve? :evil:
The GenTwo Valve? (oops, that's a variant of Linux). :cool:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

lol valve os/2
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:56 pm Wankel engines work, too. They’re fun. But they didn’t “win” in the market.
Cheers,
Andy
Though I love my 88HCL and the excellent-functioning Christian Lindberg valve, I won't die on that hill. I happen to like Conn trombones (especially my late Elkhart 88H). Other trombonists are not such Conn fans. The CL valve is really good, but its market penetration has been drastically limited because it's only available on a few Conn trombones, and Conn is no longer as prominent a brand as they once were. If Conn-Selmer wanted to increase the sales of the valve, they probably could (if allowed by their contract with Christian Lindberg). So its lack of success is (partly) due to its marketing, not its performance limitations.

The Wankel engine (which always appealed to my mechanical engineering mind) had some significant technical problems, which doomed it in today's environment - no matter how much "fun" they were.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:23 pm FWIW the patent is now expired on the the CL valve design. I believe....

Well, oddly we see plenty of copies of axials out there. Also even a few of the K valves. Any CL copies that we are aware of? I don’t know of any…

Perhaps another measure as to whether or not it is a fail. I do like the one I have. If any valve other than the Thayer is leaving the house with me, it’s probably that one, with the K a close runner up. The monster only comes out if I want people to laugh. If anybody has another one out there, I think I want to build the double that they show in the patent drawing for it…

Still need to get a Miller and buy back the Hagmann that I sold to rebuild the set. But I think I should probably do something more productive with my time.
Andy
Cmiertschin

Post by Cmiertschin »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:03 pm

Well, oddly we see plenty of copies of axials out there. Also even a few of the K valves. Any CL copies that we are aware of? I don’t know of any…

Perhaps another measure as to whether or not it is a fail. I do like the one I have. If any valve other than the Thayer is leaving the house with me, it’s probably that one, with the K a close runner up. The monster only comes out if I want people to laugh. If anybody has another one out there, I think I want to build the double that they show in the patent drawing for it…

Still need to get a Miller and buy back the Hagmann that I sold to rebuild the set. But I think I should probably do something more productive with my time.
Andy
Isn’t the Yamaha 682B something of a CL copy? I recall them at least looking veerrryyy similar.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Cmiertschin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:01 am
elmsandr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:03 pm

Andy
Isn’t the Yamaha 682B something of a CL copy? I recall them at least looking veerrryyy similar.
No, the CL rotor is pretty unique. It's a "Y" shape internally. See this thread for the "Bousfield" pictures:

viewtopic.php?t=9008
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

The meinlshmidt radial valve is of similar design.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

BoomtownRath wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:10 pm The meinlshmidt radial valve is of similar design.
Similar to 682B valve, yes. Both three passage rotors. CL valve is a little unique as a 2 passage rotor, but one passage is Y shaped.

Cheers,
Andy
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

wayne88ny - Please take a minute and checkout the Olsen Valves from Instrument innovations.
I had the rotor valve put on my Bach 42BO and it changed the whole horn for the better.
Plus their customer service is EXCELLENT!!
It`s really worth looking into
jonathanharker

Post by jonathanharker »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:03 pm Still need to get a Miller and buy back the Hagmann that I sold to rebuild the set. But I think I should probably do something more productive with my time.
Andy
No no - this sounds like a worthy project :)
jonathanharker

Post by jonathanharker »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:03 pm Still need to get a Miller and buy back the Hagmann that I sold to rebuild the set. But I think I should probably do something more productive with my time.
Andy
In fact, if you could supply photos on a white background of the Monster, CL and K valves that would look like this one, I'd be most appreciative; I'm working on improving Wikipedia articles about brass instrument valves.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:57 pm The "K-valve" is only really failed because Bach decided to stop making it. I think they built it in house? But those I know that have the K-valve Bach horns really like them. Can't say the same for the "Monster valve" trombones.
Zig Kanstul did some work on the "Monster Valve", which ended up being the prototype for the Kanstul Constant Resistance (CR) valves. If BAC really wanted to do us a service they would make the CR valve available again--they did buy (most or all of?) the Kanstul tooling.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

No, the 682B valve was a derivative of the Minick valve. The Minick valve also inspired the Meinlschmidt Radial-Flow valve.
jonathanharker

Post by jonathanharker »

Dennis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:11 pm
No, the 682B valve was a derivative of the Minick valve. The Minick valve also inspired the Meinlschmidt Radial-Flow valve.
In my digging I found a 2002 Usenet alt.music.trombone post from Dan Cloutier who said Yamaha techs were interested in using the Minick valve on his alto, some time shortly before the 682B came out in 1991. Minick apparently dealt directly with Yamaha (obit), although I'm not certain Conn used the valve, unless he was a silent partner inventor of the (completely different) CL valve?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

wayne88ny wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:20 pm As you can see from my recent post, Chuck McAlexander made a Thayer attachment for my Conn 8H. I have an 88HK bell that's set up to use that attachment. I want to get another attachment made so I don't have to switch the attachment when I want to use the K bell. As you probably know, Chuck is retired. I can probably find a tech to copy what Chuck did, but that attachment requires custom bent tubing, and depending on the tech, that could be costly. Interestingly, a Bach 42 with an axial flow valve is the same price as one with a Hagmann valve. I thought I might be able to save some money by using a different valve that wouldn't require custom tubing. I probably will end up getting an attachment with a axial flow valve, but if i could get something that played the same as the axial flow valve and it cost less, I would go that route.
Ok it's been awhile I know BUT did you ever resolve this? Inquiring minds.....

Return to “Modification & Repair”