Slide Possibly Beyond Repair on my King 3B Silversonic

sackbutt7220

Slide Possibly Beyond Repair on my King 3B Silversonic

Post by sackbutt7220 »

I have a King 3B Silversonic. The trombone sadly sat in my attic for a number of years and I believe the slide developed some red rust like material on the inside of outer slide. This causes the slide to stick between positions 1 and 2. I have taken the slide to 3 repairers including the UK King authorised repairer but no improvement. I suspect it may be beyond repair. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a new slide?
Bonearzt

Re: Slide Possibly Beyond Repair on my King 3B Silversonic

Post by Bonearzt »

New tubes would DEFINITELY be in order!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

sackbutt7220 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:22 pm I have a King 3B Silversonic. The trombone sadly sat in my attic for a number of years and I believe the slide developed some red rust like material on the inside of outer slide. This causes the slide to stick between positions 1 and 2. I have taken the slide to 3 repairers including the UK King authorised repairer but no improvement. I suspect it may be beyond repair. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a new slide?
Absolutely you can buy a new slide, but before that look into replacing the inner and outer tubes on the slide you have. It will cost about 1/2 the cost of the new slide. Still, I can't believe a good slide tech in Jolly Ol' couldn't fix the one you have. UK members, who's a good go-to man for slide work?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Hmmmmmmmm. Do you know what was done to it by these repair people? How does the inner slide look? Did they chem clean it?

Unfortunately not all techs are equal with regards to getting slides working again. A good slide tech would have spotted this issue before giving the slide back to you.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
sf105

Post by sf105 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:46 pm Unfortunately not all techs are equal with regards to getting slides working again. A good slide tech would have spotted this issue before giving the slide back to you.
Agreed. Where are you based? Some repairers are better than others.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Take it or send it to Adrian Jarvis. Now based up in the Wirral/North West or Mick Rath in Yorkshire. Also Mark at Rosehill Instruments in Beaconsfield is good... Doug
sf105

Post by sf105 »

DougHulme wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:22 am Take it or send it to Adrian Jarvis. Now based up in the Wirral/North West or Mick Rath in Yorkshire. Also Mark at Rosehill Instruments in Beaconsfield is good... Doug
Also Gale Lawson, if you're near North London. He'll probably say it'll be really difficult and then do a fantastic job.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

A King Silversonic 3B is a very desirable trombone, worthy of a proper repair. A full slide overhaul done by a competent tech would be a good option instead of replacing the slide. The tech would meticulously straighten four new slide tubes and solder them into position in a precise alignment that provides smooth action that is frequently better than factory assembly. While the slide is apart would be the perfect time to have him install an adapter to receive removable leadpipes. (very small job). That opens the horn up to a whole new spectrum of personalities.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

What these guys above said. ^

To be clear, King Authorized means they are a King dealer; it tells you nothing about their repair shop. You should not have 3 shops just strike out. Any competent one of them would have described the problem and explained the possible solutions. Based on your description, it sounds like replacing outers might be in order. None of these 3 shops mentioned that? I think you need to find a better repair shop!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Any time I’ve had tubes replaced on a vintage or older instrument it has completely changed the way the instrument plays. Usually for the worst.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:02 am Any time I’ve had tubes replaced on a vintage or older instrument it has completely changed the way the instrument plays in a negative way.
This has not been my experience when replacing inner or outer tubes - which I have done many times. But I think the condition (and useability) of the original leadpipe is a big determinant of how the finished horn plays.

I would not hesitate to do this kind of work, assuming I have a good tech to work with. Especially when the alternative is to continue using a crap slide! :D
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:01 am Any time I’ve had tubes replaced on a vintage or older instrument it has completely changed the way the instrument plays in a negative way.
That risk is negligible if the OP selects a slide technician based on the experiences and recommendations of the majority of trombone professionals who generously share their knowledge here.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

greenbean wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:24 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:02 am Any time I’ve had tubes replaced on a vintage or older instrument it has completely changed the way the instrument plays in a negative way.
This has not been my experience when replacing inner or outer tubes - which I have done many times. But I think the condition (and useability) of the original leadpipe is a big determinant of how the finished horn plays.

I would not hesitate to do this kind of work, assuming I have a good tech to work with. Especially when the alternative is to continue using a crap slide! :D
I'm not saying never replace inner our outer tubes. I'm saying that some vintage instrument replacement tubes do not exist in vintage form. Maybe King tubes have all remained the same throughout the years. If so go for it. Try finding vintage tubes for Holton bass trombones. Bach tubes "work" but the instruments sound and respond differently. It's just a fact.
Also the rescuing the pipe is a major concern and a must. But it certainly can be done.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Sorry, I didn't read your comment carefully. Yes, I agree! Many vintage and some modern slides were made with odd-sized tubes.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Modification & Repair”