What is this stuff on the bell?

Jim2195

What is this stuff on the bell?

Post by Jim2195 »

I’ve noticed multiple “rusty” splotches amidst the scratches on my trombone. I have no clue what this stuff is, as it doesn’t look like typical lacquer wear to me. Additionally, is there a way to remove it? Thanks in advance to anyone who has answers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jim2195 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jim :pant:
greenbean

Re: What is this stuff on the bell?

Post by greenbean »

I think you are looking at areas that have lost lacquer due to dent removal. The raw brass then corroded a nice red color. Pretty much harmless corrosion - not "red rot." It can be removed easily. I have used Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend, and I imagine brass polish would work.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

👆 what he said
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Jim2195

Post by Jim2195 »

greenbean wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:25 pm I think you are looking at areas that have lost lacquer due to dent removal. The raw brass then corroded a nice red color. Pretty much harmless corrosion - not "red rot." It can be removed easily. I have used Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend, and I imagine brass polish would work.
Thanks! I’ll see if I can get ahold of the products you mentioned and try them out.
- Jim :pant:

Return to “Modification & Repair”