Olsen Rotary Valve Effects on Open-Side Bach 42B

Arendsdale

Olsen Rotary Valve Effects on Open-Side Bach 42B

Post by Arendsdale »

Hi all! I’m really curious about getting an Olsen valve on my closed wrap 42B. I’ve seen lots of posts talking about how much it helps open up the F side of the horn, but does anyone know how it affects the open side of the horn? Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by Arendsdale on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bach 42B w/Olsen Rotary Valve - Hammond 13MLs
'58/'59 Olds Special - Elliott 102.5/C+
H.N. White “The King”
Kbiggs

Re: Olsen Valve Open-Side Effects on a Bach 42B

Post by Kbiggs »

Do you mean the Instrument Innovations valve? Which one? His rotary valve, or his Infinity valve (basically an axial flow valve with bearings)?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Arendsdale

Re: Olsen Valve Open-Side Effects on a Bach 42B

Post by Arendsdale »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:23 am Do you mean the Instrument Innovations valve? Which one? His rotary valve, or his Infinity valve (basically an axial flow valve with bearings)?
Sorry for not clarifying, the rotary valve!
H.N. White “The King”
Kbiggs

Re: Olsen Rotary Valve Effects on Open-Side Bach 42B

Post by Kbiggs »

I like them. I had them installed on both my 42 (from an Ed Thayer axial flow) and my 50B3 (from Kanstul CR valves). Much more even sound and feel between Bb and F sides of the horn. Tight seal, but not finicky. No problems so far, and it’s been about two years.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:33 am I like them. I had them installed on both my 42 (from an Ed Thayer axial flow) and my 50B3 (from Kanstul CR valves). Much more even sound and feel between Bb and F sides of the horn. Tight seal, but not finicky. No problems so far, and it’s been about two years.
Thanks, that’s awesome! Does the open side have less resistance then it did with the stock rotor?
H.N. White “The King”
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes, I have found that on the Instrument Innovations rotary conversions, the open (disengaged) side of the horn blows more freely than on the standard Bach rotary valve. The engaged side also blows more freely.

However, there is something to take into consideration when making this comparison. When I construct a Bach 42 bell section with the “Olsen” rotary valve, I intentionally open up the gooseneck by several thousandths of an inch, particularly in the area just behind the valve. I think many other techs do the same thing.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 pm Yes, I have found that on the Instrument Innovations rotary conversions, the open (disengaged) side of the horn blows more freely than on the standard Bach rotary valve. The engaged side also blows more freely.

However, there is something to take into consideration when making this comparison. When I construct a Bach 42 bell section with the “Olsen” rotary valve, I intentionally open up the gooseneck by several thousandths of an inch, particularly in the area just behind the valve. I think many other techs do the same thing.
that’s awesome, thanks so much!! I’ve been wanting my 42 to play more open for a while, and have also really liked the hagmann valves. Someone said that the Olsen was pretty similarly to that as an in between to the standard rotors and an axial!
H.N. White “The King”
CEDivine

Post by CEDivine »

I just built one of these. The difference between stock and the Olsen valve is striking. Although more free-blowing, the instrument is more responsive to boot. You have easier dynamic contrast, and you can get more colors out of the valve without having to push the horn so far. All-in-all, a big improvement.

Here is my poor trombone playing on full display (primarily a trumpet player) but you can still hear a major difference in a stock bell vs a modified bell.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pzuf76hSQsG3AbKj9
Corey Divine
Head Brass Technician
Palen Music Center-Springdale, AR
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

CEDivine wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:46 am I just built one of these. The difference between stock and the Olsen valve is striking. Although more free-blowing, the instrument is more responsive to boot. You have easier dynamic contrast, and you can get more colors out of the valve without having to push the horn so far. All-in-all, a big improvement.

Here is my poor trombone playing on full display (primarily a trumpet player) but you can still hear a major difference in a stock bell vs a modified bell.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pzuf76hSQsG3AbKj9
that’s awesome, thanks for sharing!! I could definitely hear a difference between the two!
H.N. White “The King”
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 pm Yes, I have found that on the Instrument Innovations rotary conversions, the open (disengaged) side of the horn blows more freely than on the standard Bach rotary valve. The engaged side also blows more freely.

I purchased my Olsen/II rotary valve as a unit with the all the braces and tubing. When my tech installed it on my horn, he mentioned it was more open than the OEM neckpipe. At the same time, he updated my bell section (a Thayer Gen III (?) valve, the one with the skeletonized anodized aluminum core) with a different neckpipe, something that was again slightly more open than what was supplied with the conversion kit from 25-30 years ago. Maybe he opened it a little? I don’t know, but it’s interesting how a few thousandths of an inch can make such a difference, esp. that far away from the lips.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Modification & Repair”