Question for techs re inner slide wear

droffilcal

Question for techs re inner slide wear

Post by droffilcal »

I have owned a bunch of old Conn trombones, and I have generally found that if the slide is clean, aligned, and dent-free, the effect of the plating wear on the stockings is barely perceptible. I know people make a big deal out of it, and in some cases I guess it affects the slide action, but I really haven't experienced stocking wear as a problem.

One of the legendary brass techs in LA once explained to me that over time, the areas that have experienced plating loss will form a smooth patina that becomes as slippery as any other part of the slide - he recommended leaving the wear as is and not worrying about it. But I know there are other opinions: rotating inners to orient the wear on the bottom, polishing the wear spots with brass polish, replacing inner slide tubes, etc.

What does our esteemed crew of TromboneChat brass technicians think about this topic?
Bonearzt

Re: Question for techs re inner slide wear

Post by Bonearzt »

I agree that some plating loss is not as bad as people think.

I DO think the area should be buffed smooth as the raw brass will tend to catch slightly if allowed to patina.
A cream like Trombotine, can mitigate the ill-effect of the raw area for a time.

But ultimately, a new tube really is the only way to get a REALLY great slide action again.

But, my opinion and $7 gets ya a coffee at starbutts.....
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Most often that wear is caused by the stocking not being aligned to the rest of the tube. The spots are usually (for ex.) On the top left and bottom right of the stocking. Meaning the stocking is kinked to the right where the stocking meets the tube. Correcting that alignment issue means those spots are no longer major contact points.

Have your tech check the alignment of the stocking to the tube first, before doing anything else.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
CEDivine

Post by CEDivine »

3rd what Eric and Matt said. Correct the issue with the tube, and the wear point isn't the wear point anymore. Thus, not as big a deal.

Drag and roughness is from misalignments and various types of corrosion, not missing plating. Plating is to prevent corrosion, and is only as good and smooth as the surface prep done beforehand.

As long as the plating is truly simply rubbed off and not bubbled due to rot or flaking from poor surface degreasing prior to plating, just have the area buffed and keep trombotine on it. Lubricant isn't just lubricant, it is also a corrosion inhibitor. But if the plating is actively bubbling or flaking, there isn't much you can do but replace the tube.
Corey Divine
Head Brass Technician
Palen Music Center-Springdale, AR

Return to “Modification & Repair”