Old case repair, recommendations for vinyl patch?

although

Old case repair, recommendations for vinyl patch?

Post by although »

Hi all,

I've got a 70 year old case that probably ought to be sent to the landfill. But, it's got a cool badge on the side and it's mostly still holding together.

I'm planning on patching up some missing wood bits with fiberglass. But, I'm going to need a source for some replacement nauga hide.

Has anyone got a product that they would recommend for patching the black covering on a wooden case?

Cheers! mike
elmsandr

Re: Old case repair, recommendations for vinyl patch?

Post by elmsandr »

Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Thanks, Andy. I am a real sucker for vintage cases, they seem to cast a spell on me and I can't bring myself to drag them to the curb, like any sane person would do.
Anyway, to the O.P., I would suggest just doing an on-line search for tolex, and try to match the best you can based on the photos. You will probably end up having to order a minimum of 1 yard. However, if you do decide to completely cover instead of patch you should have enough.
Can you post a pic or 2?
although

Post by although »

Here are some photos of the case: It's the original case for my 1952 Conn 6H.

Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I just got back to this post.
It looks as if the wood needs patching up first. If you are on Facebook, I suggest joining the "Vintage musical instrument cases" group. They are mostly guitar/stringed instrument players (those cases can be highly $ valuable, unlike wind instrument cases - except to those of us who cherish them) but the moderator has put up detailed posts with pics on how to proceed. Your case is likely covered with Keratol, not tolex, and that is getting hard to find.
However, about a week ago someone posted that they purchased some material that is very similar, but he had to purchase a large lot, much more than he needed, and was offering to sell smaller pieces to group members.
If you aren't on Facebook, I could try to hook you up with him.

Return to “Modification & Repair”