Wright's Copper Cream test

Burgerbob

Wright's Copper Cream test

Post by Burgerbob »

I found some Wright's Copper Cream at the hardware store the other day. I've never seen Wright's Brass polish in person, so I figure this is either the same or the next best thing! I also have some Hope's polish that is very good but does take some serious elbow grease.

I don't have a before picture, but this is what it did to my beater Holton 158. This was crazy, it was like just wiping off dirt:

And here's what it did to some serious oxidation on my 613 in about 5 minutes:

Obviously neither of these are mirror finishes on good condition brass, but it really wiped out some nasty stuff very quickly. Might try it on something better next.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Re: Wright's Copper Cream test

Post by BGuttman »

It's good stuff. I've been using it for years. Note: do not use it on lacquer. It's a lousy delacquer agent so all you do is mess the lacquer up without cleaning any exposed brass.

It took a while to get used to the hydrochloric acid smell.

It also doesn't remove silver tarnish; Wright's silver cream is much better for that.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Ha ha Aiden! Your love affair with the Holton TR-158 continues. I remember that you sold your 258 (with screw bell). Still think it is a solid trombone for a principal orchestral player?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:17 pm Ha ha Aiden! Your love affair with the Holton TR-158 continues. I remember that you sold your 258 (with screw bell). Still think it is a solid trombone for a principal orchestral player?
In the right setting? Sure do!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Modification & Repair”