How to get a repair tech salivating ...

Posaunus

How to get a repair tech salivating ...

Post by Posaunus »

Kingfan

Re: How to get a repair tech salivating ...

Post by Kingfan »

The smart kids had the pBone...
Last edited by Kingfan on Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

"Can you take a couple dents out of my slide? Should be an easy fix..." Anyone who says, "should be an easy fix" gets charged double. Just kidding...maybe.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

huh, I thought you had to hide salami somewhere in the case
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Uggghhhh. At least most are straight horns, with two P-bones. I hate to think of what that kind of stress was doing to the one horn with an F-attachment.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I used to dream of doing that.

You practice it with pool noodles.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
JKno

Post by JKno »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:45 pm Uggghhhh. At least most are straight horns, with two P-bones. I hate to think of what that kind of stress was doing to the one horn with an F-attachment.
I counted 3 w/F... 2nd, 3rd and 5th from the left... And no... Hard pass on this with a decent brass bone. I would make my kid pony up the 2 Benjamins for the pBone for these shenanigans... I still wouldn't like it if they were the school instruments either.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

The 2 Benjamin strategy may be a good step in the direction of getting a kid’s right brain talking to the left brain. Children and young adults do not possess an amygdala that is mature enough to deal with consequences of actions. It is a bad plan to thrust this sort of decision to participate or not participate on them, and could lead to a pattern of escalating behavior that is difficult to arrest. From the humanities perspective it ceases to be art.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Did that one back in college; we called it a guillotine drill...
Years later, I was there to play with the alumni band; a few of us lined up, counted off, and ran the drill without a hitch (or a hit, for that matter).

After a little practice, it becomes muscle memory and it's just a matter of knowing whether you're supposed to duck first or turn first.

As for doing it with an f-attachment? I did it with an Olds P-24G. I still have that horn and the knuckles are still intact.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

JKno wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 pm
tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:45 pm Uggghhhh. At least most are straight horns, with two P-bones. I hate to think of what that kind of stress was doing to the one horn with an F-attachment.
I counted 3 w/F... 2nd, 3rd and 5th from the left... And no... Hard pass on this with a decent brass bone. I would make my kid pony up the 2 Benjamins for the pBone for these shenanigans... I still wouldn't like it if they were the school instruments either.
?
This isn’t a hard maneuver… they aren’t playing doing it, they don’t even really have to count together… there’s a drumline beating out a pretty strong cadence! They aren’t trying to move while doing it!

Call me when they want to try a countermarch like Texas A&M or some tight squad drill “patterns in motion” stuff…

I remember a couple of college bands that have a little ditty they play to go along with this… that would significantly up the degree of difficulty. Just this stationary dance? Neat and fun, but should not be dangerous to people or horns to any group that does most any marching drills.

Like John noted, this can be muscle memory without thought.

Cheers,
Andy
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

And the consequences of one wrong move / muscle memory failure are ...? :horror:
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:26 am And the consequences of one wrong move / muscle memory failure are ...? :horror:
… expensive.
Steve
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

sacfxdx wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 pm
Posaunus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:26 am And the consequences of one wrong move / muscle memory failure are ...? :horror:
… expensive.
Or tragic: Remember what is on the end of the outer slide and the arc it travels. Spread the kids a minimum six feet apart. Then it is a nice display, no one gets hurt, and the only damage occurs to horns other than Olds, with f attachments.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Probably less than falling off a bike?
These kids are old enough to drive, probably less than a similar failure there?

Cheers,
Andy
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

A ruined trombone, an idiot gets dope-slapped, and a million YT viewers get to rag on a bunch of a-clowns. Sounds like everybody wins. :twisted:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

sungfw wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:45 amA ruined trombone, an idiot gets dope-slapped, and a million YT viewers get to rag on a bunch of a-clowns. Sounds like everybody wins. :twisted:
The two trombones that collide certainly don't...
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

sungfw wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:45 am
A ruined trombone, an idiot gets dope-slapped, and a million YT viewers get to rag on a bunch of a-clowns. Sounds like everybody wins. :twisted:
Would that it were those are the sum total of the consequences. A trombone water key could cause irreparable damage to an eye. I have known two children for whom the loss of an eye was a life ruining experience. Lay people don’t realize that circuses and movies most often use props that have been prepared for the stunt to minimize risk and damage. Even their processes can go horribly wrong as it did for Halyna Hutchins on the “Rust” set.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I like the Pbones for that gig.
I use my Pbone at open houses. I am a Realtor. Had a kid break the neck pipe once. Pig puddy epoxy fixed it.
Just swinging the horn like that can though a great slide out of sorts.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Modification & Repair”