Where to buy trubore valve caps

piezer

Where to buy trubore valve caps

Post by piezer »

I'm looking to try out heavy valve caps for my tru-bores, does anyone know where they are available? Googling hasn't come up with anything.
hornbuilder

Re: Where to buy trubore valve caps

Post by hornbuilder »

Do Shires make them? If not, you will have to have them custom made (by Shires, or a machine shop)
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you can't get them at Shires, I've had several valve covers made by Matt Frost at http://www.frostcustombrass.net/. True Bores might be a little too wide for his setup though. If you go that route, I'd check to see if he can make something of that diameter.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

TruBore valves have had two different valve caps since they were introduced. At some point (2008 or 9?) the original caps were replaced with heavier versions that everybody seemed to prefer. It took me a little time to adjust, but ultimately I liked them better.

If your TruBore valves are an older set, the current caps made by Shires will be heavier.
piezer

Post by piezer »

Do you happen to have any pictures of new vs old? I think mine are the old ones though because they say "The Shires Valve" on them as opposed to TruBore.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

piezer wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:42 pm Do you happen to have any pictures of new vs old? I think mine are the old ones though because they say "The Shires Valve" on them as opposed to TruBore.
I don't, sorry. You are probably correct that yours are older.
Arvopart17

Post by Arvopart17 »

Just put the cap from my 1 year old tru-bore on the scale and it was 47 grams. Just for reference against yours.

Return to “Modification & Repair”