Modifying the Trigger system on a Yamaha 612 bass trombone

TheFilthOfFrank

Modifying the Trigger system on a Yamaha 612 bass trombone

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

Is it possible to order parts from the modern trigger system on a Yamaha 620? Namely the Gb arm and linkage. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to make it work.
DougHulme

Re: Modifying the Trigger system on a Yamaha 612 bass trombone

Post by DougHulme »

I had the same thought but found some difficulty getting the parts, so in the end I asked Mick Rath to do it for me, which he did very succesfully using his own parts.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah, the linkage parts took forever for me to get from Yamaha on my current bass. But I do have them and I do like them. They're also on the pricier side from what I've been told.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

This model can be reconfigured (split) with numerous valve lever systems. The last one I did about 3 years ago was fitted with Bach parts (both levers). If I were to do another, I might try Getzen/Edwards levers this time around.

No matter what levers are used, there will probably need to be some bending and customization. There are a few techs that fabricate ALL of the parts from scratch……lever saddles and everything. That’s too much work for me!
Last edited by Crazy4Tbone86 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Brian - thats absolutely right but I think the point the OP was making, and I thought the same thing, was that the Yamaha trigger on the later 620GE will fit without any modification just a solder job for the bottom saddle - but I never got the parts to prove that theory!... Doug
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Got it Doug! But would a trombone player really want to keep the original F lever? Well, I guess some would.
TheFilthOfFrank

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:21 am Got it Doug! But would a trombone player really want to keep the original F lever? Well, I guess some would.
I actually like the original F lever. It's going from F to D which is the problem.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I kept the F lever on my 612. The ergonomics were perfect! And I had a tech fabricate a second lever.

(I loved that horn. Why did I sell it, anyway?... :o )
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

How many times do we sell a horn that we end up wishing we hadnt!! - Doug
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

DougHulme wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:06 am How many times do we sell a horn that we end up wishing we hadnt!! - Doug
It seems to be quite often I've read many times here "I regret selling THAT horn". I never sell, I only buy :good:
Haven't said it once!!!

/Tom
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

greenbean wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:35 am I kept the F lever on my 612. The ergonomics were perfect! And I had a tech fabricate a second lever.
I have never had luck with the “under the thumb” levers……I always accidentally partially engage the lever on those. I need to remember that there are many players that prefer those.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I really am big fan of the Yamaha Bass split trigger set up. Its perfect for a "Yeo grip' like I use when playing.

Now if only it was easier to get that special pad that they put on the F-trigger, which makes it just a bit more comfy and secure.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:25 pm I really am big fan of the Yamaha Bass split trigger set up. Its perfect for a "Yeo grip' like I use when playing.
Oh, that explains why Yamaha finger levers are so weird. I tried that grip and it was horrible for me. Standard grip is excellent. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

brassmedic wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:11 amOh, that explains why Yamaha finger levers are so weird. I tried that grip and it was horrible for me. Standard grip is excellent. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I like the design, though it doesn't work for short fingers. If you like a traditional grip, you can move the paddle forward, and if you want to use a "yeo" grip move it back. Also if I'm playing something where I'm not going to be using the paddle on my dependent horn, I can just switch grips and it's out of the way.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:28 am
brassmedic wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:11 amOh, that explains why Yamaha finger levers are so weird. I tried that grip and it was horrible for me. Standard grip is excellent. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I like the design, though it doesn't work for short fingers. If you like a traditional grip, you can move the paddle forward, and if you want to use a "yeo" grip move it back. Also if I'm playing something where I'm not going to be using the paddle on my dependent horn, I can just switch grips and it's out of the way.
It's not how far forward the paddle is; it's the fact that the lever runs straight along the lower slide tube. Other brands have the lever running diagonally up in the direction of the upper side tube so you don't smash your ring finger, which is wrapped around the lower slide tube in a traditional grip.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”