Conn 48H Tuning Slide

DrCub

Conn 48H Tuning Slide

Post by DrCub »

Hi all,

I recently rescued a 1965-1966 48H from a local seller. He let his son use it for beginner band. The poor tuning slide looks like it was repeatedly bashed on the ground ran into a wall. Mashed so badly it bent the pipe coming in and even made a tiny crack in the bell section where it meets the tuning slide. Won’t affect playing, but yeah, that’s how hard it was mashed! He even knocked loose one of the solder joints in the tuning slide. Surprisingly, the bell itself is fine and the slide is smooth and fast. Not sure how that happens.

My question is, if I want to replace the turning slide crook (heck, one joint is already un-soldered) does anyone know where I could get that piece? Would a crook from another model fit? The tuning slide has nice chrome on the legs, ferrules and brace, so I kinda don’t want to lose that aesthetic, but the crook is just yellow brass. If the diameters and radius of the time is the same as an old director, could I just use that? Or are they different? Any help in locating a replacement would be so appreciated! I’m excited to save this horn!

Thanks!

DrCub
hornbuilder

Re: Conn 48H Tuning Slide

Post by hornbuilder »

Conn 6H tuning slide crooks are available from Allied. The same crook was used on several models, including the 48H, and the 100H
Last edited by hornbuilder on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

PS. The rest of the tuning slide parts are nickel silver, not chrome plated. So when the tuning slide crooks is replaced (or repaired, which may be an option? Could you post pictures?) The appearance will not be lost.
Matthew Walker
DrCub

Post by DrCub »

Thanks for that clarification, Hornbuilder. That was a lazy slip on my part - rushing. Yes, of course it’s not chrome; it’s nickel or nickel silver because not tarnished like silver plate does and chrome isn’t really a thing on brass instruments.

I’ll have a check at allied, for sure. Thank you!

Do you happen to know if there are some crooks that absolutely won’t work? I’m wondering if bore, taper and radius are different across the other conn bones from that era? This is if I happen to find a ‘parts horn’ for cheap…

Thanks for the swift replies!

DrCub
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

DrCub wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:06 pm Thanks for that clarification, Hornbuilder. That was a lazy slip on my part - rushing. Yes, of course it’s not chrome; it’s nickel or nickel silver because not tarnished like silver plate does and chrome isn’t really a thing on brass instruments.
Well, actually………. Chrome is very much a thing on brass instruments. Most modern inner slides on trombones are chrome plating over nickel silver. There have also been many trombones over the decades that have chrome plated components, in particular the cork barrels and inner slide braces (parts that have constant contact with the left hand). For many years, many of the bugles used in drum and bugle corps were completely plated in chrome.

While silver, nickel (nickel silver) and chrome all have the same color, they all have a very specific hue. If you look at them carefully, you should be able to develop an eye for telling the difference between the alloys. Of course lacquer, especially tinted lacquer, can change the look of any alloy.

The Conn 48 is a very unique horn. The bell is the most “famous” component because it has nickel plating over brass. It has been several years since I have pulled one apart, but I believe there are a couple of other parts that are nickel plating over brass and quite a few parts that are solid nickel (nickel silver or German silver). Knowing which parts are solid nickel and which parts are nickel plated is good information because it is easy to “buff through” the nickel plating when doing refurbishment work. Are there any techs out there who have done many 48Hs and have a “solid nickel vs. nickel plated” list?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The entire bell, including gooseneck and cross braces, are nickel plated on the 48H. The other assemblies, tuning slide, and handslide inner and outer assemblies, are lacquered. The inner handslide tubes are chrome plated.
Matthew Walker
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes Matthew. It is clear that the 48H bell section (minus the tuning slide assembly) was electroplated in nickel as one unit. The information that I think is important is knowing what is UNDERNEATH that nickel plating. The 48H bell is yellow brass (underneath) and I am pretty sure the gooseneck is yellow brass as well. It is the ferrules, flanges and brace tubes that interest me. It has been many years, but I think those parts are actually nickel silver underneath on the Conn 48H which make repairs easier.

If an instrument with nickel plating has bent braces, needs dent work or has loose solder joints, knowing that there is brass underneath the nickel plating can be pertinent information. This is a problem with certain brands (Getzen and Jupiter come to mind first). If there is just a thin coating of nickel, avoiding having that brass show through becomes a priority……it changes the way a tech approaches the sanding/buffing finishing process. I am sure that you have probably seen this problem numerous times.

Obviously, having an electroplating kit with nickel solution is a way to make the finished work look nicer. At this time, I do not have a plating kit and I know many shops that don’t have one as well. In the meantime for guys like me, knowing what is underneath that nickel plating is valuable information.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”