Instrument Innovations Axials

Druidman

Instrument Innovations Axials

Post by Druidman »

Hey all,

Does anybody know a good tech who can build a wrap with instrument innovations bass axial valves (independent) to fit a shires bass? Currently, I have rotors and I'd be curious if this would be more cost-effective than ordering an axial section from Shires.

Thanks!
pompatus

Re: Instrument Innovations Axials

Post by pompatus »

We have several techs here on the forum that do that kind of work all the time. Where are you located?
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Define "cost effective".

Generally speaking, the old saying "you get what you pay for" is absolutely true when it comes to this type of work. Sure, you could probably find a tech that would do what you want, for a.lower price than what you would pay for a factory valve set, but will it be as good?

Does the tech do buffing/lacquer? How "good" is that buffing/lacquer? How much of an understanding does the tech have of the workings of the valve should issues arise?

"Less expensive" isn't always good..
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd get Olsen axials because you want them, not because they'd be cheaper.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Druidman

Post by Druidman »

I could have worded "cost-effective" much better. I really meant that as far as final costs are considered, if it's equitable to a stock axial section. I'm fully aware that cheaper isn't always better, and would expect to pay a good price for quality work. Just not sure where to start as I'm based in Minnesota (around the MN/IA) border, and I'm not aware of any techs beyond the typical repair techs, and they've all passed on building a valve section.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Do you like the way the rotors play? Are they the standard rotors?

I would think most likely that hunting down an already made shires Axial section would be the easiest way. It's more than just building the valve wraps and such. You also need the correct shires attachment hardware, bracing, etc. Most techs don't have that stuff on hand.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

Here is a pretty good number for you. $3000.00 buck possibly $3600.00.

The parts are $2000-2400. Instrument innovations valves and parts are not expensive but Shires parts are. I ordered the bracing etc...for mysell and it was something like 800 bucks for parts to make a from scratch set of axial valves.

Labor to fit, buff etc...is expensive.

The rotors are much less expensive to deal with.

Benn
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

One of the big expenses that people don’t realize are the linkages. Getting a good set and also making them have good geometry isn’t cheap! But getting a good, smooth set of them makes an enormous difference
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Matt K wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:59 pm One of the big expenses that people don’t realize are the linkages. Getting a good set and also making them have good geometry isn’t cheap! But getting a good, smooth set of them makes an enormous difference
That is a part of the job though. At least it should be. And does tie in with my comment about the degree of technical ability of the tech doing the work. If the tech can't fabricate levers that function well, then they perhaps aren't the best person for the job. Some valve makers (Hagmann for example) do make levers to go with their valve sections, but they aren't necessarily a "plug and play" item. It is possible to stuff them up!
Matthew Walker
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Druidman, have you asked Merlin Grady?
Matthew Walker

Return to “Modification & Repair”