Brass instrument finishing business?

BrianJohnston

Brass instrument finishing business?

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

One of my horns is pretty unevenly worn and i'm not liking the way it's looking. It still sounds great, I just would like it to have a more uniform look. Is there a business that can sand it down/add an even finish to it? Do most repair shops offer this option? I appreciate all the leads. Thank you.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
hornbuilder

Re: Brass instrument finishing business?

Post by hornbuilder »

Not all general repair shops have lacquering facilities. You need a shop that offers overhauls, including relacquering.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I had a 50s era King 2b completely overhauled in the 1990s by Anderson Plating. It was ok but the slide was never right. I am not 100% certain they removed the previous lacquer before re-lacquering, and the lacquer seemed really thick. In hind sight I wish I would have focused mainly on the mechanics and less about the look. Specifically, dent removal and likely inner/outer slide tube replacement. Be careful about what you want and ask yourself what your goals are before jumping into an overhaul. Too often people listen with their eyes, but they will feel it in your wallet. Also, they will likely sound the same. Full disclosure, I have been guilty of this.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Talk to BAC Horn Doctor in Kansas City, Missouri, 913 390 1776, or Oberloh in Seattle, Washington, 206 241 5767. Email me if you strike out.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Matthew Walker's work is excellent on his instruments. Not speaking for him but he would be a good person. Unless BAC has improved I’d search elsewhere. Also heard great things about Oberloh. I hear that Anderson is hit or miss these days. One has to have the right equipment for this type of work but also needs to know how to use it all! And FWIW I hope whoever you choose does not incorporate sanding in the process.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I had Rich Ita (Brass Instrument Workshop) do a relacquer on a 1946 King 2b and it came out perfect. The horn looks like brand new... and still plays just as good as before the work. Rich is in Marietta Georgia. He also fixed a crease in the bell of a 1929 Liberty Silver Tone Trumpet for me-- there was one spot that was actually a hole. He did a nice job on that one too...you can still see where he thickened over that spot, but it isn't noticeable unless you look for it. Anyway...he has done good work for me.

BTW, I have the King 2b up for sale now (I have hardly played it since I got my Silver Tone 2b) - Partially because I'm afraid I'll dent it....lol
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
This is especially true of trombone technicians.
Stick with the ones recommended here, even if it means shipping the horn.
Refinishing your horn will require buffing the horn against a high speed soft wheel charged with a fine abrasive.
There is risk that inexperienced buffing hands can bend slide tubes.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I recently saw a Bach 42B that was re-lacquered by Osman, and it was gorgeous. Looked brand new.

Return to “Modification & Repair”