70H slide repair

bassboneman69

70H slide repair

Post by bassboneman69 »

Recently bought a ‘40 - 70H
The handslide is not terrible but would like to get it as good as possible.
Obviously, the TIS makes this a bit more tricky.
Anyone out there w a terrific TIS slide or am I chasing an impossible goal?

Also…anyone been successful in making the bell section more balanced? I have several Conn counterweights, but no crossbraces on this baby ☹️.
BGuttman

Re: 70H slide repair

Post by BGuttman »

I have a 1925 Olds TIS that Steve Shires worked on when he was at Osmun. It's really free running when I play it (does get a lttle sticky in the closet). Good techs are out there. If you are in New England, Jim Becker at Osmun is good. You have the Slide Doctor down in Georgia. You have Eric Edwards or Eric Swanson down in Texas. Benn Hansson up in Washington State. Lots more that I'm blanking on (my apologies to all of you).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

My 70H - also 1940 - has an excellent slide, but it definitely needs different lubrication methods than my modern instruments. Looks like you play other vintage trombones, so maybe it won't be so different for you.

I find the best thing is Trombotine and water. I apply the Trombotine liberally - about a half inch on each tube - work it in, and then wipe off the inners; work it in again, wipe off again; work in again and then spray with lots of water.

I don't mind the added weight at all.
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Thank you Bruce and Gabe!
I am about 4hrs from Osmun and have used SlideDr. in the past. My go to used to be Chuck at BrassLab! He was quick, efficient and worth the $$!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I had a TIS slide that was part of a model unspecified Conn trombone that Renold Schilke overhauled for me. It was definitely a professional quality horn. The slide was 10/10 (maybe 12/10) using Pond’s. It may not have mattered what you used on it. It sounded pretty good. But I never bonded with the weight and balance or intonation of the partials of that horn. I don’t know who the goto repairmen are now.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

My 62H TIS slide is one of the best slides I've ever had.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)

Return to “Modification & Repair”