Openwrap Benge 165F

JMR

Openwrap Benge 165F

Post by JMR »

Hi gents!

I have a good Benge 165F and I want to have it open-wrap. Any of you had any experience?

FYI I'm not looking at coupling it to a 190F section, looking for same width tubing, like Greenhoe/Shires rotary style wrap

Thanks!!
Jean-Mathieu Royer
Bass and tenor trombonist, arranger

"From Monteverdi to Chicago!"
greenbean

Re: Openwrap Benge 165F

Post by greenbean »

Do you have a tech who will assemble it? If so, they can probably source it. Or find some In their "horn graveyard"...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have converted a few Benge 165 models to open wrap. I have done it in both Shires configurations. The regular Shires wrap (front rotor port goes into immediate 180 bend and back port goes up by the bell stem) and the Alessi-style wrap (back port goes immediately into the 180 bend).

I have even converted my own Benge 190 into the Alessi-style wrap, as seen in the photos below. It reduced the projection of the back tubing by about 2.5 to 3 inches from the original 190 wrap. I got tired of that F-attachment tubing sticking out so far with the original wrap. The only problem is that the knuckle coming out of the back port has a slight lateral tilt. Thus, the small 180 bend sticks out about 1/2 inch farther than other wraps that I have constructed. I have tried to show that in the first photo.

Contact me at: bdhinkley(at)comcast(dot)net if interested. There are numerous options.

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=13870

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=13869
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
JMR

Post by JMR »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:34 pm I have converted a few Benge 165 models to open wrap. I have done it in both Shires configurations. The regular Shires wrap (front rotor port goes into immediate 180 bend and back port goes up by the bell stem) and the Alessi-style wrap (back port goes immediately into the 180 bend).

I have even converted my own Benge 190 into the Alessi-style wrap, as seen in the photos below. It reduced the projection of the back tubing by about 2.5 to 3 inches from the original 190 wrap. I got tired of that F-attachment tubing sticking out so far with the original wrap. The only problem is that the knuckle coming out of the back port has a slight lateral tilt. Thus, the small 180 bend sticks out about 1/2 inch farther than other wraps that I have constructed. I have tried to show that in the first photo.

Contact me at: bdhinkley(at)comcast(dot)net if interested. There are numerous options.

Email sent!
Jean-Mathieu Royer

greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Nice looking work and I love the bumper!...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yep, that Benge 190 is from the early 1980’s and the gauge on the bell is rather heavy……considering how heavy the bell is, it responds very nicely. With the original F-attachment, I had to pull it out so much to be in tune and it bumped against everything behind me (walls, music stands, percussion instruments). Other trombonists ask me why I converted an open wrap to a different open wrap……I tell them that losing three inches of tubing in the back has definitely made the horn easier to manage in tight quarters. Plus the X-bracing (construction style the Don Sawday does for Noah Gladstone’s custom Bachs and Conns) made the horn very nimble and flexible. Fun horn to play and those old rotary valves are very good.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:34 pm I have converted a few Benge 165 models to open wrap. I have done it in both Shires configurations. The regular Shires wrap (front rotor port goes into immediate 180 bend and back port goes up by the bell stem) and the Alessi-style wrap (back port goes immediately into the 180 bend).

Where do you source your tubing?
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

There are only two non-Benge pieces of tubing on that horn. The small (slightly offset) 180 degree bend is from an Eastman 432 horn. The large 180 bend is from Getzen/Edwards.
JMR

Post by JMR »

For those wondering, behold "The Hinkley Special"

I HIGHLY recommend this gentleman's work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Mathieu Royer

Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Thanks for the shout-out Jean-Mathieu! I hope you enjoy playing the horn.

Return to “Modification & Repair”