Do mpcs, leadpipes etc. affect intonation?

Bach5G

Do mpcs, leadpipes etc. affect intonation?

Post by Bach5G »

Do mouthpieces, leadpipes, and F attachments affect a horn’s intonation? I was struggling last night after putting in a straight gooseneck. I don’t remember it being as difficult and 5th and 6th partials were extremely sharp. Can various combinations of mouthpieces, feed pipes etc. make that much of a difference?
Last edited by Bach5G on Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: Do mpcs, leadpipes etc. affect intonation?

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Absolutely.

Changing between and f-attachment and a straight neckpipe is a pretty complicated from an acoustic standpoint.
Samit2011

Post by Samit2011 »

I use a straight gooseneck every now and then with my edwards and my tuning slide is just over an inch different in each setup.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Samit2011 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm I use a straight gooseneck every now and then with my edwards and my tuning slide is just over an inch different in each setup.
😲

That's crazy!!

Are they the same length? The distance between the end of the handslide receiver and the tuning slide ferrule?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

JohnL wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:57 pm Absolutely.

Changing between and f-attachment and a straight neckpipe is a pretty complicated from an acoustic standpoint.
How so?

If the 2 assemblies are the same length, intonation shouldn't change.
Matthew Walker
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

hornbuilder wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:07 pm
JohnL wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:57 pm Absolutely.

How so?

If the 2 assemblies are the same length, intonation shouldn't change.
I don't know the answer, but I've always been curious about this. I've definitely noticed that pulling my F slide way out changes the way the open horn plays. Pulling it out entirely does too. I'm not sure it changes the intonation, but it does something to the feel/slot.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I could see pulling the F slide changing the balance of the horn, which may change mouthpiece pressure/alignment/angle, which may change the resulting sound/"feel" of the horn.

Taking it out completely does similar, but also lightens the horn...
Matthew Walker
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

wouldn't a rotor section necessarily be a bit longer than a straight gooseneck, with the deviation into the valve ports?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It also wouldn't have the same taper shape as a neckpipe.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Samit2011

Post by Samit2011 »

hornbuilder wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:06 pm
Samit2011 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm I use a straight gooseneck every now and then with my edwards and my tuning slide is just over an inch different in each setup.
😲

That's crazy!!

Are they the same length? The distance between the end of the handslide receiver and the tuning slide ferrule?
Yep it's the same. I'm really not sure what's causing it, but at the same time I don't use it enough for it to bug me
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:50 pm wouldn't a rotor section necessarily be a bit longer than a straight gooseneck, with the deviation into the valve ports?
That was my thought, even if you have axial flow valves, there is a bit more length.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Even an axial valve, with the slight deflection of the main port, is less than 1/4" longer. Meaning the potential tuning slide pull would be @1/8".

It depends on the valve type and gooseneck design as to how much difference there is in the taper.
Matthew Walker
Langheck

Post by Langheck »

What about Shires large tenor tuning slides, the standard taper puts high D in 1st position, while the X taper makes the tuning more in line with Bach instruments. It seems unlikely to me that only the length of the tuning slide is what makes the difference there, or that the tuning slides are more than a negligible amount difference in length.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

In that instance it is not length that makes the difference. It is the diameter of the crook at a specific nodal point.
Matthew Walker
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Kdanielsen wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:44 pm I don't know the answer, but I've always been curious about this. I've definitely noticed that pulling my F slide way out changes the way the open horn plays. Pulling it out entirely does too. I'm not sure it changes the intonation, but it does something to the feel/slot.
I find this too. There's even a subtle difference if I pull the F slide about 2 inches, as I do when I need to play good low Cs on my single valve section. I've wondered if moving or adding a brace to the valve section would even it out.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

GabrielRice wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:53 am
Kdanielsen wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:44 pm I don't know the answer, but I've always been curious about this. I've definitely noticed that pulling my F slide way out changes the way the open horn plays. Pulling it out entirely does too. I'm not sure it changes the intonation, but it does something to the feel/slot.
I find this too. There's even a subtle difference if I pull the F slide about 2 inches, as I do when I need to play good low Cs on my single valve section. I've wondered if moving or adding a brace to the valve section would even it out.
I’ve always thought a Gb valve (instead of F) would be worth exploring, but worried that it would have problems for this reason. Gb makes a lot of sense to me.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Kdanielsen wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:24 am [...
I’ve always thought a Gb valve (instead of F) would be worth exploring, but worried that it would have problems for this reason. Gb makes a lot of sense to me.
Actually, there was a group proposing the attachment be in G (there is actually a Holton trombone with this setup). There are some advantages to the G attachment -- even more than the Gb attachment.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BoNeLife

Post by BoNeLife »

I find that pitch rises as mouthpiece cup volume decreases.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I noticed the same thing with my single valve section when pulling for an in-tune low C. It also had a tendency to slip back in when I did that because the slide was generally a little loose. Lou at Virtuosity fixed the slipping problem and now the difference in response up around 5th partial and above is lessened significantly.

Return to “Modification & Repair”