Changing a Bach 36 slide tenon?

NordicTrombone

Changing a Bach 36 slide tenon?

Post by NordicTrombone »

Is it possible to swap a Bach 36 slide tenon to another size? I would like to put an Edwards tenon on it, if I can i find one :) Any experiences with doing something like this?
pompatus

Re: Changing a Bach 36 slide tenon?

Post by pompatus »

Yes, this is absolutely possible.

I recently had this same modification done to my own corporation-era Bach 36B, swapping the slide tenon and receiver to large bore parts. Now, I can use the 36 slide or my Edwards large bore slide.

Eric Swanson in north Texas did the work, but there are many fine techs out there that should be able to complete it without too much trouble.
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

pompatus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:24 am Yes, this is absolutely possible.

I recently had this same modification done to my own corporation-era Bach 36B, swapping the slide tenon and receiver to large bore parts. Now, I can use the 36 slide or my Edwards large bore slide.

Eric Swanson in north Texas did the work, but there are many fine techs out there that should be able to complete it without too much trouble.
Great, exactly what I am looking to do. Where did you get the part?
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

My tech used a Bach 42 tenon and receiver. I always let him get the parts, since he’s got better contacts and “know how” than I. The Edwards slide fits perfectly, without issue.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Didn't Bach change their handslide construction at somepoint (relatively) recently? That is, the tenons are no longer separate part on the hand grip? This would make it more involved, but not impossible.

Still usually best to let the tech get the part. If you know how and where to get the parts, you probably know how to do the work.

Cheers,
Andy
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:50 pm Still usually best to let the tech get the part. If you know how and where to get the parts, you probably know how to do the work
Good point! I will get in touch with my tech :) Thanks guys!
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:50 pm Didn't Bach change their handslide construction at somepoint (relatively) recently? That is, the tenons are no longer separate part on the hand grip? This would make it more involved, but not impossible.

Still usually best to let the tech get the part. If you know how and where to get the parts, you probably know how to do the work.

Cheers,
Andy
Yes. About 20 (?) Years ago. May even be more. Anyway. Looking at the slide tenon area, you can see if there is an obvious joint between the cork socket/tenon, or not, if it is a one piece job.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Here are 2 piece and 1 piece versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
posaunebone

Post by posaunebone »

I had this done fairly recently. The 36 slide was a 2 piece but the new Bach part came as a complete socket assembly as others have mentioned. My tech cut it down to the part needed and then said some further machining to blend the two together. He also mentioned shimming rather than "globbing with solder" to make up the 525 vs 547 inner tube. I'm super happy with the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modification & Repair”