M&K drawing Bach replacement slide crooks

Tbarh

M&K drawing Bach replacement slide crooks

Post by Tbarh »

Hello..
Bach 42 and 50 slide crooks are reputedly the same part whereas M&k drawing offer a 42 crook with '488 bore and 50 crook with' 605 bore... Which one are closest to an original Bach 42/50 crook?
Thanks!

Trond
Tbarh

Re: M&K drawing Bach replacement slide crooks

Post by Tbarh »

Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I believe 42’s were made with a bass (.605) bore. Some people replace it with a tenor (.488) bore crook on 42’s for a more tenor-like sound with more clarity and an easier higher register. It affects the tuning slightly. I asked my tech to replace the bass yellow brass crook with a tenor nickel crook. It seems to help me. YMMV
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Actually, the original parts on Bach 42 and Bach 50 slides have crooks with a .600 bore. ithinknot pointed that out as the “OEM” part that M/K Drawing offers. In other words, M/K Drawing offers the original size AND parts that they feel are more appropriate for the 42 slides (.588) and 50 slides (.606).
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yep. Exactly my point.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

The high register issues with the 42 can very well derive from the overzise slide crook, but be prepared to loose a little of the nice "fuzzy" 42 sound... Unless You also change to a bigger neckpipe.. Me personally dont like nickel slide crooks (No nickel slide actually) on the Bach.. I find the soldered Bell rim and one piece bells need a warmer front end to match the forward sound Bell.. 😉
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Exactly, they now offer the original size (same for 42 and 50), plus two variants that are slightly smaller and slightly larger, dedicated for tenor or bass. They used to only offer the original size, that's what I had on my 42, nice improvement over the stock crook.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

On my LT42BG, I was satisfied at first but then desired more warmth and character, so I had a lightweight yellow slide built (no oversleeves, all yellow) and it provides the tonal complexity I've been seeking along with quick, light action

Return to “Modification & Repair”