When is it ok to solder in leadpipe

JLivi

When is it ok to solder in leadpipe

Post by JLivi »

I recently bought a Conn 79h with an Edwards leadpipe and I really love how the horn plays. The original leadpipe and edwards pipe is press fit.

If I find a leadpipe I like is there any reason not to get it soldered in? The press fit is becoming more and more annoying as I keep playing the horn.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Re: When is it ok to solder in leadpipe

Post by Burgerbob »

Solder it in. I did the same thing to my 3B when I got my Brassark 32H leadpipe.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Have someone who does it right. Too much solder will flow down the pipe and deaden the vibrations. Very little solder is needed.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It’s a lot easier to clean the pipe if it isn’t soldered in. If you don’t do regular maintenance on it then it doesn’t make any difference though. I prefer to have threads added which keeps the pipe attached so it isn’t annoying but still removable but it costs more than soldering it in. Another inexpensive middle ground is to have your tech solder a ring to the top of it that is close to the ID of the top of the inner slide. The ring gives you something to grab so it still can come out but you have to give it a good yank with the material below it because of the extra friction it being the same size as the ID.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Unless you know you're going to keep the horn forever, which you don't, I'd stick an Instrument Innovations bi-thread nut on the slide and threaded rings on the pipes. (Possibly cutting a little off the existing receiver first if that's an option, to keep the length more-or-less consistent.) The parts are cheap, it's really not much work, and at least you're in a city with good techs.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I've never had an issue cleaning my lead pipes that are soldered into an instrument. If you LOVE the way the horn plays as you state solder it in. If you are the kind that likes to tinker, and most people are, then just keep trying pipe after pipe until you return to the one that you originally loved. :)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Just running a snake brush through the tube cleans the leadpipe, soldered or not. I wouldn't take out a screw in leadpipe to do this.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:31 am Just running a snake brush through the tube cleans the leadpipe, soldered or not. I wouldn't take out a screw in leadpipe to do this.
Agreed.
christianjgilbert

Post by christianjgilbert »

A super cheap fix if your press-fit leadpipe is too loose is to wrap some plumbers/teflon tape (it’s non-adhesive) around the top of the leadpipe to get a tighter fit. I’d try that first before taking it to a tech.

I personally wouldn’t bother soldering in a leadpipe, even if you find one you really like. If the slide ever became damaged and needed to be re-tubed, or the leadipe became damaged, the tech would need to pull it. Over time soldered pipes can become corroded in, especially if any gunk builds up between the pipe and the inner slide tube, so you may find yourself with a larger repair bill and needing to replace both the leadpipe and inner slide tube.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I asked Partch in Toronto to pull the leadpipe on a Benge 290. He reported back that a previous owner had already done that and then soldered in a replacement pipe using so much solder he didn’t think he could get it out without damaging the slide.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

christianjgilbert wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:34 am A super cheap fix if your press-fit leadpipe is too loose is to wrap some plumbers/teflon tape (it’s non-adhesive) around the top of the leadpipe to get a tighter fit. I’d try that first before taking it to a tech.

I personally wouldn’t bother soldering in a leadpipe, even if you find one you really like. If the slide ever became damaged and needed to be re-tubed, or the leadipe became damaged, the tech would need to pull it. Over time soldered pipes can become corroded in, especially if any gunk builds up between the pipe and the inner slide tube, so you may find yourself with a larger repair bill and needing to replace both the leadpipe and inner slide tube.
Good alternative!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

christianjgilbert wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:34 am A super cheap fix if your press-fit leadpipe is too loose is to wrap some plumbers/teflon tape (it’s non-adhesive) around the top of the leadpipe to get a tighter fit. I’d try that first before taking it to a tech.
I have plumbers tape on there now and it’s obviously not enough. I feel like I keep having to add more as time goes on. I’d rather just eliminate the frustration.
ithinknot wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:30 am Unless you know you're going to keep the horn forever, which you don't, I'd stick an Instrument Innovations bi-thread nut on the slide and threaded rings on the pipes. (Possibly cutting a little off the existing receiver first if that's an option, to keep the length more-or-less consistent.) The parts are cheap, it's really not much work, and at least you're in a city with good techs.
This was my other option but didn’t know how easy it would be. Sounds like I have to contact a tech.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I just had it done to a King 3B slide. IIRC all-in I was in the ballpark of $200. I personally think it was worth it. Snaking does clean out the inside of the pipe but it doesn't clean the outside of the pipe or the interior of the inner slide. Obviously, it isn't imperative that you do this since most horns do not have a removable pipe, but if you're a germaphobe like me its nice :lol:
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Threaded is the best, but expensive.
Soldering is also expensive, and removes your option to change pipes.
Plumber's tape is a PITA.
For a 'semi-permanent" solution, you can use aluminum tape around the top of the leadpipe.
Cheap, removable, and with the right number of wraps, very tight friction fit.
This stuff at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape ... 030120-_-N

Also, a little wax or lube on the mouthpiece shank will discourage it from grabbing the leadpipe.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

by WGWTR180 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:43 am

I've never had an issue cleaning my lead pipes that are soldered into an instrument. If you LOVE the way the horn plays as you state solder it in. If you are the kind that likes to tinker, and most people are, then just keep trying pipe after pipe until you return to the one that you originally loved. :)
WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:09 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:31 am Just running a snake brush through the tube cleans the leadpipe, soldered or not. I wouldn't take out a screw in leadpipe to do this.
Agreed.
I think both of you are missing a very important point. You can look through your inner slide tube and see a mirror finish on the inside of the tube and the leadpipe, but that does not mean that everything is clean and spotless. Most of the corrosion on a leadpipe occurs between the leadpipe and the inner slide.....the part you DO NOT see when you look through your inner slide. This is the huge advantage of having a removable leadpipe system. It is my advice to take the leadpipe out regularly to clean the inside AND OUTSIDE of the leadpipe, along with the inside of the slide.

For this reason, I always recommend choosing a removable leadpipe system. If you remove the leadpipe and clean it regularly, it will last 100+ years with no corrosion. If you solder that leadpipe in there, you are guaranteed that some degree of corrosion will start to happen within a few months. It's unavoidable because there is no solder seal down at the bottom of the leadpipe.....all the soldering is done up on the mouthpiece receiver end. Essentially, the bottom of a soldered leadpipe is a dependable moisture and corrosion collector.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm by WGWTR180 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:43 am

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:09 am
Agreed.
I think both of you are missing a very important point. You can look through your inner slide tube and see a mirror finish on the inside of the tube and the leadpipe, but that does not mean that everything is clean and spotless. Most of the corrosion on a leadpipe occurs between the leadpipe and the inner slide.....the part you DO NOT see when you look through your inner slide. This is the huge advantage of having a removable leadpipe system. It is my advice to take the leadpipe out regularly to clean the inside AND OUTSIDE of the leadpipe, along with the inside of the slide.

For this reason, I always recommend choosing a removable leadpipe system. If you remove the leadpipe and clean it regularly, it will last 100+ years with no corrosion. If you solder that leadpipe in there, you are guaranteed that some degree of corrosion will start to happen within a few months. It's unavoidable because there is no solder seal down at the bottom of the leadpipe.....all the soldering is done up on the mouthpiece receiver end. Essentially, the bottom of a soldered leadpipe is a dependable moisture and corrosion collector.
Okay Brian. Well here's what I'm not missing. My Elkhart 88H has a soldered in pipe and I've been cleaning it the same way since 8th grade. No issues whatsoever. Another one of my instruments from 1967 has a soldered in pipe, also with no issues. Granted, maybe, if I decided to pull the pipe there might be some issues getting it out but having never been pulled and by always cleaning it the way I've been doing I'm good to go. So I disagree that there's a HUGE advantage to having a removable pipe.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

We can agree to disagree. I think we are approaching this from different perspectives. You have some instruments with soldered leadpipes that have held up well over time. I can understand if you would say, "there's no problem here, what's the issue?"

I view this topic from a technician's perspective.....I have seen the corrosion that accumulates around those leadpipes and wish to avoid that happening on my instruments. People have brought me trombones that were only 3 or 4 months old and asked me to remove the leadpipe. Sometimes those almost-new trombones already have corrosion in that area of the horn.

If you have an Elkhart Conn with the original leadpipe, I absolutely DO NOT recommend that you attempt to remove the leadpipe. I estimate that the success rate of removing that leadpipe would only be 40-50%. The problem with removing leadpipes on older instruments is that the corrosion between the outside of the leadpipe and the inner slide can sometimes be a stronger bond than the solder itself. Thus, the leadpipe sometimes will not move. The other problem is that the leadpipe could be weakened by the corrosion and might break apart. Again, the corrosion is there.....you just don't see it when you look inside the inner slide tube.

We simply have different preferences. You like the convenience, consistency and solid feel of that soldered leadpipe. I sleep better at night when I know that my trombones are corrosion-free from mouthpiece to bell.
Last edited by Crazy4Tbone86 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Or you could have your fave threaded and have the best of both worlds.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am We can agree to disagree. I think we are approaching this from different perspectives. You have some instruments with soldered leadpipes that have held up well over time. I can understand if you would say, "there's no problem here, what's the issue?"

I view this topic from a technician's perspective.....I have seen the corrosion that accumulates around those leadpipes and wish to avoid that happening on my instruments. People have brought me trombones that were only 3 or 4 months old and asked me to remove the leadpipe. Sometimes those almost-new trombones already have corrosion in that area of the horn.

If you have an Elkhart Conn with the original leadpipe, I absolutely DO NOT recommend that you attempt to remove the leadpipe. I estimate that the success rate of removing that leadpipe would only be 40-50%. The problem with removing leadpipes on older instruments is that the corrosion between the outside of the leadpipe and the inner slide can sometimes be a stronger bond than the solder itself. Thus, the leadpipe sometimes will not move. The other problem is that the leadpipe could be weakened by the corrosion and might break apart. Again, the corrosion is there.....you just don't see it when you look inside the inner slide tube.

We simply have different preferences. You like the convenience, consistency and solid feel of that soldered leadpipe. I sleep better at night when I know that my trombones are corrosion-free from mouthpiece to bell.
Yup I buy all of that. The fit and finish of most, not all, newer/ish instruments is a huge issue. Corrosion that develops within 3/4 months is completely unacceptable due to poor design. Most people probably don't clean out their inner slides as often as I do. I have had my horns scoped and luckily for me there is no visible evidence of corrosion. What's underneath doesn't worry me as it will be minimal and I'll never have the pipes removed. But as far as I'm concerned I'm way ahead of the game when it comes to corrosion issues. Then there's acid bleed on new instruments-don't get me started. :)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

When is it ok to solder in leadpipe? It depends on if you are a Mooninite or not:

"We do whatever we want, to whomever we want, at all times"
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am ...
If you have an Elkhart Conn with the original leadpipe, I absolutely DO NOT recommend that you attempt to remove the leadpipe.
Oh, NOW you tell me!...

https://goo.gl/photos/FNWnxsgGR55GSDwq5
Last edited by greenbean on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Tom, what's a picture of a 2B got to do with this topic? Did you mean to point to a different set of photos?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am If you have an Elkhart Conn with the original leadpipe, I absolutely DO NOT recommend that you attempt to remove the leadpipe. I estimate that the success rate of removing that leadpipe would only be 40-50%. The problem with removing leadpipes on older instruments is that the corrosion between the outside of the leadpipe and the inner slide can sometimes be a stronger bond than the solder itself. Thus, the leadpipe sometimes will not move. The other problem is that the leadpipe could be weakened by the corrosion and might break apart. Again, the corrosion is there.....you just don't see it when you look inside the inner slide tube.
When I bought the horn the leadpipe was already removed and converted to press fit. The horn came with the original Conn pipe and an Edwards leadpipe, both press fit.

After all of this discussion I'll plan to continue to use plumbers tape and when I get around to it, I'll spend the $200-300 on making them threaded. It's just not high on my list right now.

I really appreciated everyone's insight.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:37 am Tom, what's a picture of a 2B got to do with this topic? Did you mean to point to a different set of photos?
Fixed.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

greenbean wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am ...
If you have an Elkhart Conn with the original leadpipe, I absolutely DO NOT recommend that you attempt to remove the leadpipe.
Oh, NOW you tell me!...

https://goo.gl/photos/FNWnxsgGR55GSDwq5
Yep! That looks very familiar. The sad thing is that I have seen leadpipes look like that coming out of horns that were only 2 or 3 years old! I have never thought to photograph the remains.....I instinctively throw them away. I appreciate that you posted the photo and it emphasizes why I always recommend a removable leadpipe system. But.....a removable leadpipe system only has an advantage if the musician takes the pipe out every few weeks and cleans everything thoroughly.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm This is the huge advantage of having a removable leadpipe system. It is my advice to take the leadpipe out regularly to clean the inside AND OUTSIDE of the leadpipe, along with the inside of the slide.

For this reason, I always recommend choosing a removable leadpipe system. If you remove the leadpipe and clean it regularly, it will last 100+ years with no corrosion.
And how do you recommend I clean the leadpipe? Other than maybe using brass polish I’m not really sure what to do.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Definitely at least remove it and let it and the inner slide dry out. Sean inner slide without the leadpipe in it too.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

JLivi wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:04 pm
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm This is the huge advantage of having a removable leadpipe system. It is my advice to take the leadpipe out regularly to clean the inside AND OUTSIDE of the leadpipe, along with the inside of the slide.

For this reason, I always recommend choosing a removable leadpipe system. If you remove the leadpipe and clean it regularly, it will last 100+ years with no corrosion.
And how do you recommend I clean the leadpipe? Other than maybe using brass polish I’m not really sure what to do.
How you clean it depends on if you are going to continue playing it or if you are putting it in storage.....

*If you are just cleaning it to continue playing: Pull out the leadpipe, swab the inner slide and swab the inside of the leadpipe. If the leadpipe has any blue, green or white chalky stuff on it, you are accumulating mineral deposits and that will take you down the path of corrosion. Sometimes a simple scubbing with fine steel wool on the outside of the leadpipe will do the job. If the mineral deposits are really attached to the metal, you can do your own chemical clean by pouring vinegar (a weak form of acetic acid) in a tall glass and soaking the leadpipe in the vinegar for 20-25 minutes. Rinse and dry (swab inside of leadpipe again). Applying some thick tuning slide grease to the outside of the end of the leadpipe will give you a better seal and postpone the accumulation of future mineral deposits. However, tuning slide grease does make for more work when swabbing the inside of the inner slide.

*If you are cleaning the instrument for long-term storage. Most of the above steps apply. However, the slide and leadpipe should be stored absolutely dry. I vacuum my slides for 3 or 4 minutes after swabbing them and that usually removes all traces of moisture. I recommend that you store the leadpipe separate from the horn because it ensures that all parts stay dry while in storage. I store my leadpipes on racks that were designed to hold plastic recorders for elementary school music classes.
https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=13458
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:07 pm How you clean it depends on if you are going to continue playing it or if you are putting it in storage.....
Thank you! That's very helpful
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585

Return to “Modification & Repair”