MK Ralph Sauer slide brace

Gfunk

MK Ralph Sauer slide brace

Post by Gfunk »

I recently picked one up and tried it out for a while. I’m curious to hear anyone else’s thoughts.
Kbiggs

Re: MK Ralph Sauer slide brace

Post by Kbiggs »

I tried one for a while. My two cents:

It was easier to project and there was more core to the sound. I was able to play fortissimos slightly louder without the sound breaking up or getting too brassy. OTOH, I though it hampered flexibility (greatly increased slotting) and hampered my ability to color notes. It also felt more difficulty to play pianissimo without sounding dull.

Also, I couldn’t find the sweet spot to hold it in place without either falling out, or bending the slides tubes just slightly out of place.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

I bought one as well. I have a yellow brass light weight slide that I sort of regret ordering in light weight. So I put the brace on and it definitely improved slotting and density of sound.
I tried it on regular weight slides as well but didn’t like the effect as much. Will keep it on the lw slide. No mechanical problems for me, it has stuck to the slide since I put it on.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I just recently bought one for my Bach 42BO.
I put on the end ferrule the "F" Attachment slide like a brace.
I like t . More stability on the F side. Also The Open wrap F slide is the same size as a Bach 12 hand slide
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I used one on a Conn 62HI that was an already great blowing horn and couldn't believe how much better the slotting and focus improved. An Edwards #2 leadpipe turbo-charged it ! The results on a King Duo Gravis and a King 8B were undetectable. Go figure. When it works, it really works well !
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I play the Greenhoe version on my bass and I really like it. Increased focus in the valve ranges, more core to the sound. I don’t like it on my tenor though.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Chatname wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 pm I bought one as well. I have a yellow brass light weight slide that I sort of regret ordering in light weight. So I put the brace on and it definitely improved slotting and density of sound.
I tried it on regular weight slides as well but didn’t like the effect as much. Will keep it on the lw slide. No mechanical problems for me, it has stuck to the slide since I put it on.
My thoughts were that the Sauer brace would be great for LW slides.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Yes, maybe I was unclear: I like it on my yellow brass LW slide, it’s certainly an improvement. On nickel, not so much. For me.
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

Dredging up and old post, but I'm really surprised these aren't more popular, especially with all the love for TIS horns, which I don't think you could get new (or not easily as compared to the options now) when these were introduced. My understanding is that Sauer was looking to replicate some of the feel you get from TIS horns. And, that was before all the attention to bracing with "edge" bracing, "harmonic bridge," etc.

I've used them for a very long time. I own multiple sizes, including an original Greenhoe large tenor/wide slide and now the MK for a Conn large tenor and small tenors. On my old Edwards 350 (mid 90's) it makes a HUGE difference to the focus, slotting, and projection. On my Elkhart 8H, closer to what Sauer intended them to be used for, I think, it makes a significant difference. On my 32H, it is more difficult to discern. But, I've probably spent tens of thousands of as many hours playing big tenors, and the Edwards in particular, as compared to any small tenor, so I may just not be as sensitive to the set up.

If you use them carefully and are like me, your slide will be in the shop from time to time anyway for stand dings and such. So, it isn't a big difference for slide health if you don't crank them down too tight. (And it takes some time to get it right, as they will fall off every now and then if you are being careful with the tension).

Best of all, they are cheap compared to a boutique mouthpiece, a leadpipe, or especially any bit you want to swap on an Edwards or Shires. On my Edwards, at least, I could be easily talked into changing mouthpieces as I've used all sorts of different things successfully. But, when I was playing full time, you couldn't have pried the brace out of my hands.

I don't work for MK, I swear. I just think it is interesting that folks will drop big bucks for tiny mouthpiece differences (at least to my perception), but aren't lining up to spend $68, or whatever they cost now, for something that makes, again, to me, an enormous difference on some instruments.

Paul
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have a modular counterweight on my primary Shires now and really like t (doesn't really add much weight at all, very thin and more decorative). I've been thinking about doing something similar to the handslide where the RS brace would be, but instead of having it mounted via tension, use small threaded posts and a thin cross brace with threaded nuts on both sides. That way it would be removable and shouldn't contribute to extra tension on the slide.

Return to “Modification & Repair”