Kleinhammer (Slot-In) Valve Fabrication?

d00n

Kleinhammer (Slot-In) Valve Fabrication?

Post by d00n »

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows a tech who could build a Kleinhammer/Slot-in valve section for me (Preferably continental U.S.). The linkage and mounting mechanism won't be an issue, as I have a tech who can take care of all that near to me. All I'm looking for is someone to build the valve and the loop.

Also, if anyone has an extra Marston valve burning a hole in their pocket, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :biggrin: I'm getting a nice Mt. Vernon horn, and would like to maintain the originality of the horn as much as possible while making it viable to play modern bass trombone rep.

Thanks in advance for the help! :good:
eatanick

Re: Kleinhammer (Slot-In) Valve Fabrication?

Post by eatanick »

I had the same question a number of years ago. I ended up finding an original Holton valve, but I believe Terry Pierce in NY has fabricated a number of them.

[Edit] I was too quick reading your post and now realise you're likely talking about a slot in second valve for your Mount Vernon 50 rather than a Holton 169/185. I'm sure Terry Pierce could do the work for you, as could many other great techs. If it's not for a Holton, it should be a simpler task as the bore of the valve tubing is a more standard size on Bachs and most other brands. I've seen some of Benn Hansson's work on a 50 he converted to Instrument Innovations valves in a slot-in dependant configuration, so he might be a good place to start.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

For what it's worth, Benn is on the board as octavposaune. You might also look for Eric Edwards and John Sandhagen. Benn is near Seattle WA, Eric is near Dallas TX, and John is near Los Angeles CA.

You could also contact Bob Osmun at Osmun Brass (Acton MA, near Boston). Bob has done a lot of custom work in the past.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

One I did recently on a Reynolds And a Bach 50.
Have made several others.

Note that you need to modify the F wrap on a factory Bach, as there needs to be clearance for the rotor and the tuning slide. I had to modify the Reynolds to allow it to all fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

And the complete horn made for Max Seigle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
CheeseTray

Post by CheeseTray »

Very impressive work!
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Yeah, beautiful work, Matthew!

And I would use ANY of the techs mentioned so far above without hesitation.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

I can’t speak to Terry’s custom work but I had him do some maintenance on my bell, dents and some polish. He did some amazing work, heavily recommend him
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 pm One I did recently on a Reynolds And a Bach 50.

Note that you need to modify the F wrap on a factory Bach, as there needs to be clearance for the rotor and the tuning slide. I had to modify the Reynolds to allow it to all fit.
That Reynolds has to be the sweetest plug in I've ever seen!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Indeed, we must give credit where it is certainly due. Matthew, those are some very nice plug-in set ups!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

LIBrassCo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 am
hornbuilder wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 pm One I did recently on a Reynolds And a Bach 50.

That Reynolds has to be the sweetest plug in I've ever seen!
That is so very pretty... That or the one for Max are the perfect configurations for a Bach 50.

To the OP... I am in process (couple of years now, sadly) of doing the same thing. The having to modify the existing horn as Matt noticed is giving me pause. After a bit of searching I did find a used vintage valve section from BrassArk, that's probably a good place to go sniffing if you want to match the vintage. Check the horn you have, the valve section tubing size changed at some point for Bach. It is different bore and OD on my NY than on current production parts. I don't know exactly when it changed, my early Elkhart (96XX) Marston looking valves has essentially contemporary wrap parts. The old stuff is close enough that it could be made to fit... except the tuning slide inners, which would need an appropriate size or replacement. I got a matching vintage so that I could still use the current single configuration as well and the slot-in valve.

Cheers,
Andy
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Yeah, that Reynolds is absolutely gorgeous. They're all beautiful work, of course, but that Reynolds...wow. Makes me want to get one done that way for my stock 72H.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Finetales wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:36 pm Makes me want to get one done that way for my stock 72H.
DO IITTTT
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

72H birdcage or 2-valve 3B...decisions...
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Double valve 3B, so I can copy the end result when I do mine :good:
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

d00n wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:40 pm Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows a tech who could build a Kleinhammer/Slot-in valve section for me (Preferably continental U.S.). The linkage and mounting mechanism won't be an issue, as I have a tech who can take care of all that near to me. All I'm looking for is someone to build the valve and the loop.

Also, if anyone has an extra Marston valve burning a hole in their pocket, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :biggrin: I'm getting a nice Mt. Vernon horn, and would like to maintain the originality of the horn as much as possible while making it viable to play modern bass trombone rep.

Where do you live? Choosing a tech might determine who you choose depending on whether you need to ship the horn or can drive it and drop it off for the work. Terry Pierce in New York has done multiple slot-in-valve sections for various New York players. But if you live waaaaaaay away from New York you might seek someone closer.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:31 am
d00n wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:40 pm Hi everyone,

Where do you live? Choosing a tech might determine who you choose depending on whether you need to ship the horn or can drive it and drop it off for the work. Terry Pierce in New York has done multiple slot-in-valve sections for various New York players. But if you live waaaaaaay away from New York you might seek someone closer.
Terry's work is among the best out there, but I'm under the impression he isn't taking a ton of jobs these days. A good friend of mine has one of his plug ins, and its perhaps the best ive played in this design. The only thing i dont love is the way he does his linkage on some horns, particularly his f lever. They work fine and all, but egonomically speaking out of the half dozen or so I've played its just not a good fit for my hand.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to “Modification & Repair”