Bach 16 M leadpipe options

jrod93

Bach 16 M leadpipe options

Post by jrod93 »

Hello all

I’m looking at the possibility of switching out my lead pipe on my 1983 Bach 16M. So I’m looking into some suggestions from you guys. Originally I wanted a Kaunstal H8. But seeing that they don’t make that anymore…… What are the other options? I realize that I am going to have to replace the inner slide and possibly decide whether a pressure fit or receiver part.

Let me know what you think….
Matt K
Verified

Re: Bach 16 M leadpipe options

Post by Matt K »

Shires or Edwards are popular choices. The .001” won’t make much of a difference. The #2 for both is pretty standard. Brassark makes a 32H replica that can be made in that size. I have one on order myself, though it’s for a king 3B
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Will Shires and Edwards make a press fit?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:56 pm Will Shires and Edwards make a press fit?
You'd just have your tech torch off the screw ring and put on an unthreaded one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Bach5G wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:56 pm Will Shires and Edwards make a press fit?
You'd just have your tech torch off the screw ring and put on an unthreaded one.
Of course. But that wasn’t the question. The question was: Will Shires/Edwards make a press fit?
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I had Shires send me a #1.5 and #2.5, without collars, for my early 16m (.509, no open gooseneck). I had my tech fit collars after they arrived.

You won’t need to replace the inner slide, unless yours gets destroyed pulling out the old pipe. The .001” is so small, it may as well not exist. My pipes are snug and play great.

Andrew
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The other popular option back in the day as well as changing the pipe was a 3b crook
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:12 pm Of course. But that wasn’t the question. The question was: Will Shires/Edwards make a press fit?
You know they have email address for these sorts of questions, right? These companies are staffed by real people who's job it is to answer inquiries like this.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That’s true, but there’s an implied question there that is seeking information about what is not known. Eg. “yes but they’ll tell you X weeks but it really might be Y weeks/months”. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to crowd source such a question even if an official source may have the same info. Especially since I’m this context it is more exploratory than what I would do because I’m very opinionated and specific about my preferences :lol:
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I can make .508/.509 pipes, and yes the .001 difference is negligible. I can pull the existing pipe for you too. That can almost always be done successfully without having to replace the slide tube. And if you just leave it as a press-fit you will make things a lot easier on yourself.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”