Crook Damage

walldaja

Crook Damage

Post by walldaja »

Got into a scuffle with a mute falling out last night. Tried to grab it but then the slide ran wild into a vile music stand. Put a nice divot in the crook. Didn't notice any affect in the playing characteristics; but, I don't like dents. Especially when they are caused by me.

Is it a major job to have the crook dent taken out by a tech?

Should it be an omen to find a new horn?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, stand was undamaged
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
elmsandr

Re: Crook Damage

Post by elmsandr »

Not a big deal, but make sure it is somebody that knows what they are doing with a slide re-alignment. Can easily make a not great slide a bad slide with a crook repair, as it will (probably) have to come off and be re-installed.

Even if the crook needs to be entirely replaced, no need to get a new horn.

Good luck,
Andy
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:51 pm ... no need to get a new horn.
No, no. That is wrong. First, explain to your wife/spouse/partner that a new horn WILL be required. And after that has been secured, quietly proceed with the crook repair as mentioned above. :good:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

If the damage isn’t too bad maybe leave it alone for now. Depending on the tech it may lead to burned lacquer if they aren’t great at this kind of repair or let an assistant do it. Had a slide that was relacquered even though I asked to not do that because the student burned it when they removed the crook.

On the other hand if you have a great tech they can do it really quickly. The repair tech I trust completely unsoldered and re assembled my entire outer slide and did a complete polishing of the inners and outers in about 30 minutes. No burned lacquer. It cost $200, but that was 8-10 years ago, but the slide still is amazing to this day. I believe he charges $250 or $300 now?
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Thanks for your quick responses. I especially liked your thinking Greenbean!
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

BTW, crook and slide tubes are nickle silver. Easier or harder?
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

walldaja wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 pm BTW, crook and slide tubes are nickle silver. Easier or harder?
Harder because they are harder material, and possibly thinner - easier to crack.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Dave, if the horn plays fine, you could leave it. Unless it really bothers you.

Some techs have a dent ball driver/puller that can be used on some crook dents. Whether they remove the crook or not, I would bring it to a repair tech who has been around the block a few times...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Will continue to PAI (play as is).
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

walldaja wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:26 am Will continue to PAI (play as is).
Dents like that can be unsightly (and infuriating to the terminally anal) if they don't seem to affect the play, you can leave them. When you realize it's making a difference (and it will be VERY subtle), then get it fixed (or replaced). You really have to collapse the slide bow pretty bad to need repair or replacement.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Is guard dented or just the side of the crook? If it's just the tube and not the guard I've had great luck using a Roth Tool.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Managed to hit the top of the crook before any of the protective extra metal or rubber bumper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If that's the ding... I wouldn't do anything. I'm pretty sure I have larger ones I've never noticed in my crooks. Let me look!

Yup, 3 of my favorite slides have larger dings than that. My backup 42 slide (which I am keeping because it may work with my new bell section better- it's a great slide) looks like it was used for fencing practice!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just ignore it. Dents that large aren't worth it. Sure it'll bother you for a bit. I have crook dents on most of my horns. It happens.

I am also OCD as hell (diagnosed), it just takes a while but eventually you forget about it and focus on how awesome your horn sounds.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Yeah, unless that happens to somehow do something to a specific note (I doubt that), this falls in to the category of quite possible to do more harm while trying to fix it.

If you have to something else done to the slide, sure, fix it then.

Cheers,
Andy
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I wouldn’t worry about a dent that size. Unless you’re one of those players who are ultra-sensitive to equipment changes, you probably don’t notice anything. What you might notice is the off chance that the slide is now out of alignment.

You can always try the Fink test for legato: remove the slide from the bell, and place the slide upright on the floor (90 degrees to the floor). Rapidly pull the inner slide up but don’t remove it completely—allow the outer slide to remain in place. If there’s no resistance, or just a little due to dirt, lubrication, etc., it should be okay. If the outer slide “jumps” up and off the floor with the inner slide, then there might be something out of alignment.

You can also try the “singing slide tubes” test. Hold the inner slide with your left hand and the outer slide with your right (like normal). Pull the inner slide up and stop just before the stockings (about 5th or 6th position). Then move your left arm up vertically, being careful to allow the outer slide to rest in your right hand. If you hear any “singing” or “ringing” of the inner tubes, then something might be out of alignment.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Fill it with JB weld , sand it down and paint it yellow. You’ll never notice. :D
Steve

Return to “Modification & Repair”