If You Own A Shires/Marshall Gilkes 0.500 Bore Trombone

brsndhny

If You Own A Shires/Marshall Gilkes 0.500 Bore Trombone

Post by brsndhny »

Have you added an F Attachment to the Shires/Gilkes instrument?

If not why not?

If you added the F attachment, what did it do to the response of the horn? What valve did you use?

Shires craftsmen and women claim to have created this instrument. Can you put me in touch with someone who owns one?

I'm looking for someone who has installed the F Attachment. What is your evaluation of the results, both positive and negative?

Aren't there some inherent pitfalls of a hand slide that limit the technique of an open valveless trombone?
Burgerbob

Re: If You Own A Shires/Marshall Gilkes 0.500 Bore Trombone

Post by Burgerbob »

I think you're not getting many answers because

1. the Gilkes model is brand new

2. Shires has not made many small bore F attachment sections

If you can afford it... get the F attachment section! I think it'll be neat, and if you don't like it, someone will buy it from you. You can always swap back to the straight gooseneck.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

brsndhny wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:27 pm Have you added an F Attachment to the Shires/Gilkes instrument?

If not why not?

If you added the F attachment, what did it do to the response of the horn? What valve did you use?
Did you ask if they can do it at shires, yet? They probably can. Your question reads like you are going to hand over a brand new horn to someone else to stick an F attachment on after you buy it. That's crazy. Just buy it with the shires rotor, it'll work fine.

There is only one alto/small bore valve option at shires, and there is probably no one who has had the horn you want made yet, let alone tested it back to back to see how it changed the horn. It'll be fine.
Shires craftsmen and women claim to have created this instrument.
They sure do make that claim.
Aren't there some inherent pitfalls of a hand slide that limit the technique of an open valveless trombone?
Any trombonist with their salt should already know the answer to this question for themselves before they drop cash on a Shires small bore trombone. Surely you already know the answer for yourself.
brsndhny

Post by brsndhny »

Of course.
posaunebone

Post by posaunebone »

Looks like your post summoned an f attachment!
brsndhny

Post by brsndhny »

Yes.

Return to “Modification & Repair”