Bracing

Elow

Bracing

Post by Elow »

I spent my weekend making edge bracing for my horn so it can become modular with shires bells because i have too many to not have something to use them with. I bought a couple of packets of thin sheet brass and a 1/8 inch brass rod. I’m really proud of how well i was able to cut out symmetrical braces and form them on the tubing, the rod part was a bit harder. I annealed the spots that i was going to bend and bent them to connect to the braces on the tubes and all went well. Overall it was a successful project, horn plays and is modular. I’m not too happy with the response though, and didn’t really do much research beforehand and am thinking that maybe the brass rod was too thick, or i put it in a bad place or something that messed with the response. It’s not terrible response, it’s just a little delayed and trips me up sometimes. Has anyone created their own edge bracing? How did that go?
elmsandr

Re: Bracing

Post by elmsandr »

Done this a couple of times. Used available parts, Thayer small braces or trumpet disconnect braces that I found out there.

I didn't have any problems like you mention. I was generally happy to be removing some fixed braces that were in bad spots, so I preferred where I put the new ones. Luckily. Wasn't like a had much of a choice without doing more work. Of course, I have also left a lot of bracing out of some valve sections that I built... would they be better or worse if I added one in? How is the alignment of all the braces, both the mains and the edge ones, do you have to push or fight to get any of the threads to line up? The first couple of times I did this, it took me at least two tries on each brace as i learned where and how it would move with the heat. Sometimes in weird ways. I didn't think being right handed would affect the torch that much, but it definitely does each time I place a socket assembly with my workbench being where it is.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I make my edge bracing with nickel rod and the Bach flanges (same flanges they use on their trumpet main tuning slides). For modular, I use the Instrument Innovations threaded connectors.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

One thing to remember…..there is no benefit to edge bracing if there is stress in the construction.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”