Slide Lock for Conn 50H

Mamaposaune

Slide Lock for Conn 50H

Post by Mamaposaune »

I already put a "wanted" on the classifieds, but did not get any responses from anyone who has one. So, if anyone has a slidelock for a Conn 50H Director from the late '60's hanging around, or if a repairman is able to get one from Allied, I would be happy to purchase it. I tried ordering one through Dillon's but it ended up not fitting, and they told me the part was no longer available. (Brian Hinkley thinks that may not be the case)
It is a .525 bore, F-attachment, currently listed on the classifieds.
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Slide Lock for Conn 50H

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Do you want me to order the part on my next Allied order? I think it is in the $6 to $7 price range. If Allied states that it is no longer available, I could let you know.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Yes, Brian, I would greatly appreciate that! Please keep me posted.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Can do. Just received an order from Allied, so it might be a few weeks to the next order.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

I have a parts horn 50h
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

djkennedy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:00 pm I have a parts horn 50h
Thanks, DJ. If Brian can get a new one, that would be my preference. The slide lock on this horn looks more vulnerable than others, IMO.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:50 pm Can do. Just received an order from Allied, so it might be a few weeks to the next order.
Great. I'm in no rush.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Actually, I can call Allied's tech person on Monday to see if the part is still available. I cannot order it right away because they have a minimum for orders, so I might need to wait until I need more parts.

Even if they do have the part, there is no guarantee it will fit. The 50H went through some changes over the years. Most noticeable was the difference between the models WITH the main tuning slide brace and the models WITHOUT the main tuning slide brace. I have no idea if the slide lock ring went through any changes. I only know that a few 50H's went through my shop about 3 or 4 years ago. Some of them needed slide lock rings....the part that Allied had at that time worked.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Sorry Mamaposaune,

Allied says they ran out of the part about 11-12 months ago.....no longer available. I think that was the message that Dillon sent you, so they must have also contacted Allied to look for the part.

I think your remaining options are to buy a used part or have someone turn a new slide lock ring on a lathe. Best of luck to you.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I’m not sure about conns, but bach cork barrels come off real easy so you might be able to replace your conn cork barrel with conn threads with something that’s easily available.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

For the Bachs, there is a right angle brace (that holds the inner slide) and the cork barrel fits over it. The cork barrel section is actually two different pieces plus the slide lock ring. For the Conn 50H, it is all one piece plus the slide lock ring.

You might be able to substitute the parts from the 78H. However, the 50H and 78H have a very different look or style. I guess you could replace both cork barrels with 78H parts....but that is a ridiculous investment of time and money just to have a slide lock ring. I would rather just play the horn without a slide lock ring!
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Forgot about slide lock !!!!
Mamaposaune

Re: Slide Lock for Conn 50H - D.J.!

Post by Mamaposaune »

djkennedy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:33 am Forgot about slide lock !!!!
DJ, I did forget about the slide lock! If you have one that will fit, I would like to purchase it.
Again it is a 50H, from the late 60's, .522 bore with the tight-wrap f-attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modification & Repair”