MK Drawing and Bending

Andyc

MK Drawing and Bending

Post by Andyc »

I had an unfortunate incident where I need my inner slides replaced in my Elkhart 8H. What are the experiences with them compared to vintage Elkhart, and how do they compare to the old stock Conn ones that Allied sells?
tbonesullivan

Re: MK Drawing and Bending

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh dang, what happened? Were the outer tubes damaged? If they are just dented, that can sometimes be fixed.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Andyc

Post by Andyc »

The top inner slide got cracked as well as the leadpipe, because I requested that my tech remove the leadpipe to make it removable. It was soldered in very tightly, unfortunately.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

MK products are amazing!
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Allied doesn't sell "old stock" Conn tubes. They're current production tubes. They do have "some" New-Old Stock parts, but 8/88H tubes are not in that category.

M&K slide tubes are quality parts, and would suit your needs very well.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Andyc wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:16 pm The top inner slide got cracked as well as the leadpipe, because I requested that my tech remove the leadpipe to make it removable. It was soldered in very tightly, unfortunately.
Dang. Is the leadpipe able to be saved? If not, the Brassark / Brad Close leadpipes are very good, and have lots of options.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Andyc

Post by Andyc »

Leadpipe is toast as well, but I’ll get a new Conn leadpipe as well as a 1919 Conn 8H leadpipe from Brassark.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

First of all, the Elkhart Conn inner slide and leadpipe were probably damaged in the attempt to separate them because of corrosion. Most leadpipes that are soldered into the inner slide are not exactly air tight at the end of the leadpipe. A lot of moisture can get in there and create all sorts of mineral deposits and corrosion. Eventually (it could take 20-30 years or more) the corrosion bond can become more powerful than the solder bond. Those pieces of metal essentially become fused to each other and they will tear, crack or dissolve into a cloud of corrosion dust instead of coming apart at the solder joint.

Both Allied and M/K have an assortment of inner slides for the major brands. The M/K inner slides are very good, as Matthew Walker stated.

The Allied parts are a mixed bag.....

1. Some of the Allied parts are actually provided by the manufacturer to Allied, so you will be rebuilding an "X" brand slide with an actual "X" brand part.

2. Some of Allied's parts are actually made by M/K.....both companies are in Elkhorn, WI. I tried to get a part from Allied once and they were out of it. I called M/K to see if they had it and they said...."We are presently making a batch of 30 of those inner slides for Allied. Do you want to wait and get it from Allied or buy it directly from us?" Thus, the Allied parts that are made my M/K are very good, but Allied will not let you know which specific parts those are.

3. There are some Allied parts that Allied claims are provided by the original manufacturer, but Allied actually makes those parts. Again, Allied will not admit that they do this or let you know which parts are involved. There are actually some inner/outer components in the Allied catalog that don't quite match or fit exactly right. Techs who have been around for a while should know about these misfits. That's why it is good to go with a technician who really knows slides for a slide rebuild.

Please understand......I do not want to speak badly about Allied Supply. Without them, my shop would not be complete. I love the company and order parts from them constantly. I have just learned to order a few parts, here and there, from other sources in order to make the highest performing instruments.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Removing a lead pipe from an instrument that old takes LOTS of patience and time. M&K stuff can be good. I'd check with Matthew at M&W first. He's a trombonist as well and will have more insight. Good Luck.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

MK stuff is spot on and I have had great service from them, even from the other side of the pond. Give them the measurements and they can pretty well make any tubes for most horns. Alas they dont do the olds fluted slides though.

I highly recommend them... Doug

Return to “Modification & Repair”