Lead pipes: Press fit to screw-in

Bach5G

Lead pipes: Press fit to screw-in

Post by Bach5G »

I have a press-fit lead pipe and I’d like to change to a screw-in. What would be involved?
Burgerbob

Re: Lead pipes: Press fit to screw-in

Post by Burgerbob »

A ring from Instrument Innovations, a tech with a torch, and a couple minutes.

Assuming you have a slide to put it in, of course
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Something on the receiver also yes?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:36 pm Something on the receiver also yes?
Yes, the slide will have to come apart for that. Also a part available at instrument innovations
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

An alternative is to solder a threaded receiver onto the existing receiver without having to take the slide apart.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Something that I have been thinking about on this.... I'm not sure that I prefer a screw in. I will note that the three slides I have with loose pipes all have threaded receivers, so not that I follow this thought in practice, BUT...

With a threaded receiver and ring, the straightness and concentricity of each assembly needs to be a little tighter tolerance for a threaded joint. That is the receiving threads need to be concentric with the slide bore and the leadpipe threads need to be concentric with the leadpipe straight section. I have had several pipes in the past that just feel wrong and tend to act like a cam when turning into the receiver. Is it a problem? If it is, should I maybe not be using that leadpipe anyway? I don't know. I do know that it just puts an additional constraint on the system that does not need to be there for it to function.

What problem are you looking to solve by adding threads? Just being able to use other threaded pipes? Aside from a little projection out of the slide, is there a problem with just pushing them in?

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

My main problem with press-fit pipes personally is that they come out when I remove the mouthpiece. I'd rather have something keeping them in there, even if it isn't threads. I actually have a Rudy Muck that, in my opinion, solves it surprisingly elegantly by having a ring with threads on the cork barrel and can otherwise accept any pressfit pipes. The threads keep the leadpipe in place when you apply outward pressure but is essentially universal. Pretty clever. I've also had a small amount of material added to the outside top of them before and actually really like that system too.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you really like that press fit pipe, I'd just solder it in.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I actually strongly recommend against soldering a leadpipe into an inner slide. I have two reasons:

1. Having a removable leadpipe makes cleaning and maintenance SO MUCH easier. A soldered leadpipe creates a hidden place inside the horn that moisture and corrosion can hide and fester for years and create mineral deposits and corrosion.

2. A removable leadpipe slide is much more marketable, should you ever decide to sell the horn. Pro or advanced players always have a leadpipe preference and it will likely not be the one that is soldered in there.

I think the wise thing to do is keep the removable leadpipe and find a way to make it more secure. That does NOT necessarily mean you must switch to any type of a threaded system. Most of my instruments have a removable leadpipe system with no threads. I always make sure they are fitted well and I use a very viscous tuning slide grease. They are very secure like a well-fitted tuning slide. On a couple of them, I use a little bit of plumbers’ tape.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”