want to swap older vs newer .562 King slides

Kingfan

want to swap older vs newer .562 King slides

Post by Kingfan »

I bought a used 7B on line. The slide tenon and receiver don't quite match - there is a large gap between the ring on the tenon and the front of the receiver when fully inserted, and a thread or two still showing when the slide is on the horn and the slide nut tightened against the ring. The nut keeps backing off while I am playing no matter how tight I make it. My tech said most likely it is an earlier DG slide. Open to suggestions. Anybody have a 7B slide they want to swap with me? An alternative is to take it to Chuck Ward and see what magic he can do on it.
tenon and receiver.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Kingfan

Re: want to swap older vs newer .562 King slides

Post by Kingfan »

Any suggestions?????
Greg Songer
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Take it off, put it on the lathe, turn it down to fit your receiver, resolder (don't forget the lock nut!).

The main thing is knowing whether the taper is already correct - i.e. the current fit is completely stable with no wobble - in which case you're just taking off an even thickness everywhere, or whether there's a bit of wobble currently, in which case the correct taper needs to be established at the same time.

(On the desert island with only a micrometer and sanding belt, you could do a workable job with the tenon still attached, rotating frequently and consistently, and taking LOTS of measurements along the way. Pointlessly fussy and slow, but not impossible. Don't actually do this.)
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

ithinknot wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:37 pm Take it off, put it on the lathe, turn it down to fit your receiver, resolder (don't forget the lock nut!).

The main thing is knowing whether the taper is already correct - i.e. the current fit is completely stable with no wobble - in which case you're just taking off an even thickness everywhere, or whether there's a bit of wobble currently, in which case the correct taper needs to be established at the same time.

(On the desert island with only a micrometer and sanding belt, you could do a workable job with the tenon still attached, rotating frequently and consistently, and taking LOTS of measurements along the way. Pointlessly fussy and slow, but not impossible. Don't actually do this.)
No lathe in my arsenal. No wobble. Best I can do is get a fine grit sanding belt and hand work it while the tenon is on the slide. Last thing I need is to make it worse...
Greg Songer
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Kingfan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:53 pm Last thing I need is to make it worse...
:pant: Seriously, though, just take it to Chuck. He might even have a replacement part, and if not the modification is no big deal.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Take it to any tech and they will resize it for you. Good news is that......since the male taper is too large it can be sized down to match your slide receiver on the bell. If the taper were too small, it would be a bigger issue.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”