Bach 42 with Rotax rotor

havard

Bach 42 with Rotax rotor

Post by havard »

A tech here in norway just replaced the stock valve and neckpipe with a Rotax valve and open («M») neckpipe .

The horn - a corporation Bach from the 70s- plays SO much better ! Fuller sound and much more open low range but still with the nice vintage feel of closed wrap .

It is a shame that Bach does not replace their stock rotor valve with a rotax . It was an easy fit said the tech , and the valve itself is so smooth .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by havard on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 42 with Rotax rotor

Post by Burgerbob »

Good valves, but that would increase the price of a standard 42B by probably $1000... that's a non-starter for a few reasons.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
havard

Post by havard »

I guess not that much more expensive if they use the rotax as their standard stock valve .

It is worth it though . It now plays as open as boutuque horns but still with the vintage Bach feel .
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The Rotax itself is very expensive (there's a reason Edwards stopped using them), plus the cost of new tooling, wrap, training for technicians, R&D for the new setup, plus some extra for perceived value (Bach 42B now with Rotax™!!)... $1000 is probably on the low end of price increase.

That's not to say I wouldn't love a stock 42 with a good valve at the same price as the 42B, but I doubt they'll change anytime soon. The 42 with Meinlschmidt is very good.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

My '80s 42BG with Rotax valve is amazing, and I have the same lever! I also replaced the stock neckpipe with a Bach "M" and it got better, but later I replaced it with a Brad Close copper open neckpipe and it got even better.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:53 pm The Rotax itself is very expensive (there's a reason Edwards stopped using them), plus the cost of new tooling, wrap, training for technicians, R&D for the new setup, plus some extra for perceived value (Bach 42B now with Rotax™!!)... $1000 is probably on the low end of price increase.

That's not to say I wouldn't love a stock 42 with a good valve at the same price as the 42B, but I doubt they'll change anytime soon. The 42 with Meinlschmidt is very good.
They could also just slap on the mid 20th century King rotors that power Gen II Conns; seems like a cheap and simple improvement that wouldn't require anything they don't already have in-house.

Of course Conn-Selmer has had all these properties for a couple decades and chosen not to go that route. Perhaps their finance/marketing people think it wouldn't be worthwhile.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The $1000, at minimum, increase would price the popular horn out of most school age family's budgets.
It is a standard for most high school trombonists here in Texas.

And for some, the standard valve works just fine as it has for the last 40-50 years...
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Modification & Repair”