Reynolds Contempora Bass Leadpipe

Fruitysloth

Reynolds Contempora Bass Leadpipe

Post by Fruitysloth »

Hi all,

I just purchased a Reynolds Contempora double valve bass bone, the one with the interesting valve design, and it came with what looks like a Shires 2 tenor leadpipe. If it were a bass leadpipe, would it say B2 on it, instead of just 2? And for anyone who's taken the original Contempora leadpipe out of the horn, what other bass pipes have you had success with? Looking to get something permanently attached to the horn. Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Burgerbob

Re: Reynolds Contempora Bass Leadpipe

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, Shires bass leadpipes (at least all the ones I've seen) will have a B, tenors no letter.

A tenor pipe would have to be pretty radically expanded to fit, or it would rattle around at the bottom... That's interesting.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 pm Yes, Shires bass leadpipes (at least all the ones I've seen) will have a B, tenors no letter.

A tenor pipe would have to be pretty radically expanded to fit, or it would rattle around at the bottom... That's interesting.
It had some electric tape right below the threads to be more of a "press-fit" style pipe, but there's no letters on it whatsoever.
Elow

Post by Elow »

My shires bass pipes just have numbers, no letter
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

It is in fact a tenor pipe, and the previous owner is sending me a proper bass pipe. My next question is: do I get a shires or Edwards threaded receiver and use threaded leadpipe, or do I find one pipe and solder it in?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Fruitysloth wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:09 pm It is in fact a tenor pipe, and the previous owner is sending me a proper bass pipe. My next question is: do I get a shires or Edwards threaded receiver and use threaded leadpipe, or do I find one pipe and solder it in?
I'd find one that works and solder it in. The threaded receiver is neat, but adds some length that the horn didn't used to have.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I'd find one that works and solder it in. The threaded receiver is neat, but adds some length that the horn didn't used to have.

Not if it is installed correctly, with the length of the collar and adapter taken into account by the tech.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

hornbuilder wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:30 am I'd find one that works and solder it in. The threaded receiver is neat, but adds some length that the horn didn't used to have.

Not if it is installed correctly, with the length of the collar and adapter taken into account by the tech.
Sent you a PM!

Return to “Modification & Repair”