Asking for advice and information

douglas882

Asking for advice and information

Post by douglas882 »

I need your collected wisdom to coach me on a potential modification. I am interested in opening up the response of my Bach LT16M and I understand there are at least 2 somewhat common modifications: replacing the slide crook (to a “single radius” design) and changing the leadpipe. If there’s anyone who has done either of these … or both … to a 16M I’d be curious to know your thoughts and advice. Could the instrument be modified to accept a variety of lead pipes? What would give the most bang for the buck? What are the pros and cons of either mod? Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom. I’m learning…
Doug Elliott

Re: Asking for advice and information

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think the most common reason for a horn feeling tight is the mouthpiece size being too small for the player. Lots of small horn players and especially doublers think they should be using a small mouthpiece for the small horn, when it's not doing their chops any favors.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Re: Asking for advice and information

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, I'd ask what mouthpiece you're using on it. If it's that way with any setup, including something you're really comfortable with, then I'd probably change the leadpipe first- it's a common culprit in the "strangeness" of a 16M blow.

I can't actually speak to this personally, my current one plays fine stock, but my previous horn was strange and had that bit of constant back-blow. If I had kept it I would have changed the leadpipe first.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Modification & Repair”