112 h with 62 h slide

trombonedemon

112 h with 62 h slide

Post by trombonedemon »

The leadpipe for my 112 h was not versatile at all. Found a new 62h slide for a third of new. Wow, it woke the horn up, as far as response is concerned. My titanium mouthpiece feels as if it is complimented with the "C" leadpipe. Besides my mouthpiece won't fit the others. It's a bit wobbly in the D and B Venturi. Any reason for that or is my terminology off?
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
Burgerbob

Re: 112 h with 62 h slide

Post by Burgerbob »

I changed out the leadpipe in my old 112H with a Shires 2L and it came to life. Much much better horn that way. It also played pretty well with a modern 62H slide, as you have discovered.

Giddings shanks are also odd, sometimes they are fine, sometimes they are not. I assume some of this is hard hard the material is to machine correctly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Hmmmm, the to Nor Easter steel/titanium seem to fit the same... the other two lead pipes are ill fitting and useless, I did find the Denis Wick 2al fits in the D lead pipe.
Was thinking Carbon fiber slide or get a new horn, or something πŸ€”. Can't beat 450 bucks. That slide was about 1700 on wwbws website. Anyone make pipes to fit my Conn Bass?
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Burgerbob wrote: ↑Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:32 pm I changed out the leadpipe in my old 112H with a Shires 2L and it came to life. Much much better horn that way. It also played pretty well with a modern 62H slide, as you have discovered.

Giddings shanks are also odd, sometimes they are fine, sometimes they are not. I assume some of this is hard hard the material is to machine correctly.
Went back to see if the lead pipes needed a clock ⏰wise twist no more wobbly. That D lead is way more open then the c pipe is. D pipe it is, slotting seems easier. I like.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

I'm running out of breath quick with the D pipe, the bottom of the horn opened up though.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

One of my two basses is an old 112h that I combined with a 62h slide a few months ago.
To me this is a great combination.
I have played it with a Kanstul Minick replica OL leadpipe for some time. Just a few days ago I got an MK Drawing GR in bronze. Both to me feel quite open, the MK Drawing maybe having a more direct response. As the Kanstul OL is also a great fit to my Throja bass, I am currently keeping the MK Drawing in the 112h/62h.
However if I remember correctly, one of the three Conn leadpipes also worked okay for me.

I really like playing this combination. Good response and surprisingly easy to play in all registers and in my opinion a really nice tone!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

I had the lead pipe for 112 light weight slide pulled and threaded for the 62 HI, the 112 leadpipe feels so much more open with 62HI slide leadpipe. 112 pipe is almost 1/5 shorter than 62 HI.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Soooooo, I had a push ring put on the 62 H's c pipe, and that's a no go. 112 H has a light weight slide. What would be a nice open lead pipe for that slide. But, the 112 H plays great with 62 H's heavier slide with 112 H's original shorter leadpipe......Phenomenal! I need an aftermarket leadpipe for the lightweight slide. Any advice.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

MStarke wrote: ↑Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:57 am One of my two basses is an old 112h that I combined with a 62h slide a few months ago.
To me this is a great combination.
I have played it with a Kanstul Minick replica OL leadpipe for some time. Just a few days ago I got an MK Drawing GR in bronze. Both to me feel quite open, the MK Drawing maybe having a more direct response. As the Kanstul OL is also a great fit to my Throja bass, I am currently keeping the MK Drawing in the 112h/62h.
However if I remember correctly, one of the three Conn leadpipes also worked okay for me.

I really like playing this combination. Good response and surprisingly easy to play in all registers and in my opinion a really nice tone!
How long for shipping with MK?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I live in Germany and they had some production issues at that point. Took a few weeks at that time, but that's probably not true if you are in the US.

Still happy with the MK GR leadpipe in the 112h/62h combo.
And the MK GR tenor leadpipe in my 88ht.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Just bought a Kanstul ol lead pipe for this slide. I'm really looking to see if it opens my horn up.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

OK deal fell through, I really hate dealing with people πŸ˜‘ sometimes, .meh
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Update, found what seems to be an edwards B2 lead pipe, helps wonders with with centering pitch uppers and lowers, I love large mouthpieces, but centering pitch was a chore, no longer though. Got a Shires B3 leadpipe for πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ giggles. Seems that the Edward's is longer than the original 112 leadpipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Edwards is a no go, way to tight, hopefully the Shires is way more open.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Got the Shires B3 in and I'm changing my 112 lead pipe. That sucker is open.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Pics the middle is the most open shires b3, edwards b2. The 112 pipe has no sizzle, the Edward's to much sizzle. Shires B3 seems to combine the 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Soooooo, I got this sterling silver edwards B3 leadpipe in today, very high thanks to Kevin, one of the members here. All I can say is Conn needs more custom options. Even with the Shires B3, my sound was bright and stand outish. It's almost like a heavyweight tone enhancer for a leadpipe. I hope others chime in.
DonH

Post by DonH »

An interesting tid bit-the 112H was the production model of the prototype horn that Minick built for Paul Faulise. I remember asking Paul what he thought about it. He said he didn't understand why Conn went with the lightweight slide and the 10 inch bell. He wasn't a fan. So it's interesting the modern 62H slide has the effect others have found.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

DonH wrote: ↑Wed May 17, 2023 7:01 pm An interesting tid bit-the 112H was the production model of the prototype horn that Minick built for Paul Faulise. I remember asking Paul what he thought about it. He said he didn't understand why Conn went with the lightweight slide and the 10 inch bell. He wasn't a fan. So it's interesting the modern 62H slide has the effect others have found.
I like the bell, but the slide was not my cup of tea. It seems the horn was designed out of a guess in my honest opinion. All of the mods done to the horn has made it more of a competitor to its custom counterparts. This lead pipe has already felt like it was a major improvement πŸ‘ πŸ‘Œ.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

DonH wrote: ↑Wed May 17, 2023 7:01 pm An interesting tid bit-the 112H was the production model of the prototype horn that Minick built for Paul Faulise. I remember asking Paul what he thought about it. He said he didn't understand why Conn went with the lightweight slide and the 10 inch bell. He wasn't a fan. So it's interesting the modern 62H slide has the effect others have found.
Is that a Conn 112 in his Bio pic?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

trombonedemon wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 9:57 am Is that a Conn 112 in his Bio pic?
Well, it's the Minick that Conn didn't exactly copy... PF describes it here http://www.trombone-usa.com/faulise_paul_bio.htm and he and it appear together variously in here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nPoZJ27ddl
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

ithinknot wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 10:18 am
trombonedemon wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 9:57 am Is that a Conn 112 in his Bio pic?
Well, it's the Minick that Conn didn't exactly copy... PF describes it here http://www.trombone-usa.com/faulise_paul_bio.htm and he and it appear together variously in here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nPoZJ27ddl
Seems Conn did what was cheaper about the design, that light weight slide us awful for that bell section, that 10 inch bell needs a lot of openess for its utilization. Needs more than large ports for rotors. I will never understand bean counters. Why ask advice if you are not gonna take it?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

well, that's why the 112H is the budget horn sold to schools.

I played one at work for a while- I eventually had the leadpipe pulled and a Shires 2L press-fit. Good horn, actually a pretty good sound too. Don't miss it much!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Burgerbob wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 11:35 am well, that's why the 112H is the budget horn sold to schools.

I played one at work for a while- I eventually had the leadpipe pulled and a Shires 2L press-fit. Good horn, actually a pretty good sound too. Don't miss it much!
That Bruckner vid is on point, the blending of this bass was what I was chasing, we can all play loud and obtuse, but this lead pipe is a game changer for me, I can hide with my section when I want to w/o changing my diaphragm. I can see why marching bands were using this horn. Its obnoxiously loud.
It's so much fun playing soft then bam here I amπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Return to β€œModification & Repair”