MV Leadpipe Replicas: Who All Makes Them?

derekcgullett

MV Leadpipe Replicas: Who All Makes Them?

Post by derekcgullett »

Hi all!

I have an M/K MK42 leadpipe which, if I understand correctly, is a replica (or at least M/K’s version) of the MV 42 leadpipe. It plays really well, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I’d like to compare it to replicas from other makers. In addition to M/K, I know the Brassark has a well-received version of a MV 42 leadpipe that I plan on trying soon.

Other than the two makers I mentioned, are there any other makers out there that make their own version of the MV 42 leadpipe?

Thank you for your help!
Johnstad

Re: MV Leadpipe Replicas: Who All Makes Them?

Post by Johnstad »

Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Kanstul made their rendition of a Mount Vernon Bach 42 leadpipe. I believe it was based on a MV leadpipe that Byron Peebles used. Unfortunately, Kanstul closed down their factory. I think BAC bought the remaining parts and tooling.....hopefully BAC will produce those leadpipes again?!?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Edwards used to make one. Not sure if they still do.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

FWIW, I've been told the Shires 1.5 is fairly similar to the MV 42s.
derekcgullett

Post by derekcgullett »

Thank you all for the input so far! This has been very helpful!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach made some in the '60s, I hear
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
derekcgullett

Post by derekcgullett »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:16 pm Bach made some in the '60s, I hear
I like how you think haha
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

The one I make is a copy of a unique vintage pipe owned by Noah Gladstone. There was more variation in design of Bach pipes back then. I have no idea what MK based theirs on.
Last edited by brassmedic on Fri May 28, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:16 am Kanstul made their rendition of a Mount Vernon Bach 42 leadpipe. I believe it was based on a MV leadpipe that Byron Peebles used. Unfortunately, Kanstul closed down their factory. I think BAC bought the remaining parts and tooling.....hopefully BAC will produce those leadpipes again?!?
This is not quite true. This is a replica of my MV leadpipe, which is actually from Tyrone Breuninger's MV42. I was studying with Byron at the time I was working at Hornguys and Steve was helping Zig with these pipes. I went down to the Kanstul factory with my leadpipe and it was measured. Zig assumed it was from Byron's MV42 and incorrectly associated it as such... naming it the BB for "Byron's Bach"

The pipe Brad and I make, our MV42 is from a different one of my personal Mt Vernon 42Bs and not the same pipe used for the BB (which actually is the same as the Brasslab Hartz MV pipe, since I got Tyrone's MV from Brendon, Brendon had it copied by Chuck prior to my ownership). I figured two copies of that pipe was enough so when Brad and I started our pipes we opted for a different version (and a more balanced pipe I think when compared to the Tyrone MV42). The Kanstul version of the BB, while a good pipe, didn't quite capture the nuance of the original. The Brasslab Hartz MV heavy variation seemed to be the closest replica to that particular original MV pipe.
derekcgullett

Post by derekcgullett »

brassmedic wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:53 pm The one I make is a copy of a unique vintage pipe owned by Noah Gladstone. There was more variation in design of Bach pipes back then. I have no idea what MK based theirs on.
slipmo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:20 pm
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:16 am Kanstul made their rendition of a Mount Vernon Bach 42 leadpipe. I believe it was based on a MV leadpipe that Byron Peebles used. Unfortunately, Kanstul closed down their factory. I think BAC bought the remaining parts and tooling.....hopefully BAC will produce those leadpipes again?!?
This is not quite true. This is a replica of my MV leadpipe, which is actually from Tyrone Breuninger's MV42. I was studying with Byron at the time I was working at Hornguys and Steve was helping Zig with these pipes. I went down to the Kanstul factory with my leadpipe and it was measured. Zig assumed it was from Byron's MV42 and incorrectly associated it as such... naming it the BB for "Byron's Bach"

The pipe Brad and I make, our MV42 is from a different one of my personal Mt Vernon 42Bs and not the same pipe used for the BB (which actually is the same as the Brasslab Hartz MV pipe, since I got Tyrone's MV from Brendon, Brendon had it copied by Chuck prior to my ownership). I figured two copies of that pipe was enough so when Brad and I started our pipes we opted for a different version (and a more balanced pipe I think when compared to the Tyrone MV42). The Kanstul version of the BB, while a good pipe, didn't quite capture the nuance of the original. The Brasslab Hartz MV heavy variation seemed to be the closest replica to that particular original MV pipe.
Thanks for the clarification, guys! I ordered the version of your MV42 pipe not too long ago. I’m looking forward to it!

Return to “Modification & Repair”