Play in rotor

JCBone

Play in rotor

Post by JCBone »

I noticed that my rotor seems to have a bit of play in it and can move back and forth. The spindle screw is all the way in. Is it possible that the bearing plate is not completely in it's place?
Burgerbob

Re: Play in rotor

Post by Burgerbob »

Could just be worn, too.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

How old is the horn? What brand/type of valve? Is the bearing plate(s) fully seated?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The spindle screw just holds the linkage to the rotor stem. if it's moving back and forth, it's either worn, or the backing plate could be not installed correctly.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

hornbuilder wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:18 pm How old is the horn? What brand/type of valve? Is the bearing plate(s) fully seated?
It's an ancient yamaha
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Some years ago I had a Holton TR181 with worn rotors giving some lengthwise movement. My solution was to get my tech friend to drill a very small hole (about 2mm diameter) in the centre of the removeable valve cap and tap the hole to take a "needle screw". This is a hardened steel screw with a fine needle point on one end and a screw head slot or hex head at the other. The needle point then went into a countersunk depression in the end of the rotor spindle where it sits in the bearing back plate.
The valve is re-assembled and the needle screw tightened until it comes into contact with the countersunk depression. Then unscrew the needle screw by no more than half a turn and check the play on the valve. It can be adjusted either way until the valve spins freely but has no longitudinal play.
I still play that trombone and it has never needed any adjustment in 10+ years, just lubrication.
I am not sure how this would work on tapered rotor valves-I think mine on the Holton are cylindrical.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Yamaha have a movable bearing on the spindle side bearing plate. Have a tech adjust the position to remove the end play.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”