Threaded receiver mod for 3B?

harrisonreed

Threaded receiver mod for 3B?

Post by harrisonreed »

Is there a drop in mod for the 3B slide so it can take pipes threaded for shires pipes, or threaded for edwards pipes? I knew for large bore the was one that let you put any threaded pipe in, conn/edwards/shires.

This would let me try those, in addition to the brass ark and kanstul .508 pipes.

If there isn't a mod, is this something any techs commonly do?
Burgerbob

Re: Threaded receiver mod for 3B?

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, you can get the Instrument Innovations adapter for small bores, I think. I think I have one sitting around... maybe it's a Getzen part.

If nothing else, you can just pull your leadpipe, and drop in new pipes as push fit. I did that with my Brassark 32H pipe, and when I realized I liked it, I had it soldered in.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Threaded receiver mod for 3B?

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The problem with generic or standard adapter parts is that they may not fit perfectly. If you want a thread adapter that really fits well, I recommend that you measure the outside diameter of your mouthpiece receiver and then call Instrument Innovations and give them the measurement. They can cut a a bi-thread adapter to the EXACT specifications of your trombone. I have ordered some of these and they deliver a perfect-fit product every time.

Of course, I hope you do know that there is a built-in problem with removing the original leadpipe on any King trombone! You cannot just pull out the leadpipe. The upper inner slide is a three piece system.....receiver, leadpipe and inner slide. If you pull out the receive/leadpipe part, your upper inner slide will be about 1 - 2 inches too short. You will need to replace the inner slide with a lower inner slide that will need to be cut. It is a real pain in the neck to make the modification!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”